Defensive Driving Course
If you are interested in taking a driving safety course to dismiss your citation, you must request permission to take defensive driving from the court by mail, fax or in person within 21 days of the date of the citation. If you make your request by mail or fax, detailed instructions will be mailed to you regarding eligibility requirements and costs. The fax number to request defensive driving is (972) 721-2383.
You may also have information and the application affidavit form faxed to you automatically from the court's automated 24-hour system by calling (972) 721-3774. You can dial 549 at any time during the call to take you directly to the Defensive Driving information. You will be given instructions on how to have the instructions and application affidavit form automatically faxed to you at any local fax machine.
If you wish to request defensive driving in person, the same instructions will be given to you at the court clerk window located in the lobby of the Municipal Court. The following are the standard eligibility requirements for approval to take defensive driving:
- Before taking the defensive driving course, you must remit cash, check or money order to pay court costs and applicable fees, and submit a completed Driving Safety Course Affidavit. Make all payments payable to the City of Irving.
- Defensive driving can only be approved if a plea of guilty or no contest is entered with the court.
- You must have a valid Texas driver's license.
- You must not have been cited with speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit.
- You must not have completed a defensive driving course (for the purpose of dismissing a previous citation) within one (1) year preceding the date of the offense on your current citation.
- You must provide proof of financial responsibility or vehicle liability insurance.
- You will not be eligible for defensive driving if you hold a commercial driver's license (CDL), or held a commercial driver's license when the offense was committed regardless of whether you were in a commercial vehicle or personal vehicle or car.
Applying by Mail
If applying by mail, please wait until you have received written permission from the court before taking the course. Upon approval you will be granted 90 days to complete the course and to obtain a certified copy of your driving record online from the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin. Upon successful completion and returning of your documents to the court within 90 days, your citation will be dismissed.
Finding the Right Course
The court is not allowed to recommend a specific defensive driving course school. You may refer to the yellow pages of the telephone directory, under Driving Instruction and call one of the numbers listed, or do an online search. It is important for you to ask if the course is approved for the dismissal of a traffic citation.