Plumbing/Mechanical Inspections


New Irrigation Permit Procedures

New: We now have information on sizing a grease interceptor

Frequently Asked Questions: Mechanical and Plumbing

Frequently Asked Mechanical Questions:

Q:  Are unvented gas heaters allowed?

A:  Yes, when they are equipped with an oxygen depletion sensor, and meet the BTU requirement in the International Mechanical Code.

Q:  Are carbon monoxide detectors required?

A:  No, not at this time.

Q:  Is combustion air required for furnaces installed in a closet?

A:  Yes, unless the furnace is electric or a direct vent type furnace.

Q:  Are air conditioning and heating contractors required to be licensed?

A:  Yes.

Q:  Where are smoke detectors required to be installed?

A:  In the return duct.

Q:  Are smoke detectors required in a mechanical system less than 2000 cubic feet per minute?

A:  No.

Q:  Are smoke detectors required when more than system mixes air in anyway and the total air mixed exceeds 2000 Cubic feet per minute?

A:  Yes. For example, one three ton air handler would not require a smoke detector. However, if two three ton air handlers mixed air (2400 Cubic feet per minute) both would require a smoke detector in their returns.

Q:  Does the International Mechanical Code allow flex duct in  a commercial building?

A:  Yes, however they must be listed and labeled.

Q:  Can a blanket type wrap material be used in lieu of a rated shat for a type one grease duct?

A:  Yes, providing it is listed and labeled by a recognized testing agency.

Frequently Asked Plumbing Questions:

Q:  Is a P-trap required for swimming pool equipment?

A:  Only if a discharging water from a back wash system.

Q:  Is a plumbing permit and inspection needed to replace a water heater?

A:  Yes, water heaters need to be brought up to the current code at the time of replacement.

Q:  Is a drain pan required for a water heater?

A:  Yes.  

Q:  What if the water heater pan can not be piped to the outside?

A:  Install a hose bib on the pan opening. This will enable the occupant to attach a hose and run it to the outside. 

Q:  What if the temperature and pressure relief valve can not be run to the outside?

A:  We would require a Waggs valve or other approved similar technology. 

Q:  Are garbage disposals required to drain through the grease trap or intercepter?

A:  Yes, only in commercial food establishments. 

Q:  Are commercial dishwashers required to drain through the grease trap or interceptor?

A:  No, commercial dishwashers need to by pass the grease trap or interceptor.

Q:  Can grease traps or interceptors be located inside the building?

A:  Not without the prior approval.  

Q:  Can PVC be used in any building regardless to type of construction?

A:  Yes, except through a HVAC return air plenum. 

Q:  Is Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing allowed for gas piping?

A:  Yes, when installed in accordance with International Fuel Gas Code and the manufactures installations requirements.

Q:  Are air admittance valves allowed?

A:  Yes, when they are listed and installed according to the International Plumbing Code, and the manufacture installations guide. 

Q:  Is solder and fluxes required to be lead free?

A:  There is a very small acceptable amount allowed; however, if the roll of solder or flux is labeled lead free, it should fall into the parameters of acceptable levels. 

Q:  Do backflow devices need to be tested?

A:  All testable back-flow devices need to be tested annually to ensure a good working status.

Q:  Do back-flow devices need to be tested by a TCEQ Certified tester?

A:  Yes, and the test report submitted to the Building Inspection dept. or Water utilities.

Q:  What if a low income resident can not afford to have their repairs made?

A:  The City of Irving Grants Department has Federal money available for emergency repairs to qualified residents. Call (972) 721-4800, ext. 4806

Irrigation Requirements

  • First obtain a permit
  • Ask for a list of Certified Back Flow testers, have it tested, and mail or bring in the test report.
  • Install the double check valve on the private property side, not between the curb and side walk.
  • The test ports on the double check valve need to be plugged.
  • There needs to be 6 inches of gravel or rock under the double check along with 6 inches air space under valve.
  • Call (972) 721-2371 for inspection or (972) 721-4893 for questions.
Fees, Forms & Applications Codes & Ordinances Plans & Reports
Maps Frequently Asked Questions Contact Us