Settlers first arrived in the area that would become the Kit community during the mid-1880s. In the fall of 1855, Jonathan Story brought land on the north side of the West Fork and west of the Elm Fork about a mile west of the point of their convergence, which forms the Trinity River. Today this area is about 10 miles northwest of downtown Dallas in the eastern section of the city of Irving, Texas. The small community of farms that grew up in the area was originally known as Gorbit, after a couple by that name that settled in the area.
Decades later, in 1889, Ike Story, brother of Johathan Story, applied to the U. S. Post Office Department for a post office for the Gorbit area. To avoid confusion with a similarly named post office, the Post Office Department asked that Story select another name for his post office. He chose the name "Kit," and that is how the community is remembered.
Most of the early settlers to the Kit area provided for themselves by farming and cutting and selling cord wood. The area between the Elm and West forks was heavily timbered in oak trees, as well as pecan and walnut. The sandy loam soil was excellent for growing fruits and vegetables on small farms. This area provided Dallas County with much of its produce during the early decades of the twentieth century.
During the 1880s, Ike Story opened a general store in the area that became the center of the community. The store served as the post office and social gathering place for area residents. A school was established in the area in the late 1850s. Included among the early settler families were the Storys, Casters, Irbys, Reedys, Kittses, and the Stocksons.
In 1903, the town of Irving was founded one mile west of the Kit store. The post office was moved from Kit to Irving in 1904. In 1909, the Texas Legislature created the Irving Independent School District, and the Kit community school grounds became the Irving school district's first campus. Kit maintained its own identity for a time, but by the 1940s, its once agricultural character had vanished into the growing city of Irving. Today the Kit Cemetery is the lone reminder of the community's existence.