Images from the Haley/Miller Family Collection 

 Page 1 | Page 2

William Haley and his wife, Lucinda Ewalt Haley, came to what is today’s western Irving in 1857. The Haleys settled in the area of present-day Belt Line Road in Irving. Tom Haley, one of William’s sons, established a farm near what is now the intersection of Esters Road and Northgate Road. Always a champion of education, Tom served as president of the Irving School Board at the time the district built its first school building in 1913. Three of his daughters taught for many years in the Irving school system. Tom’s brother, John, became one of the area's first doctors and later served as mayor of Irving.

Chaney Miller was born in 1854 in Kentucky. Sometime after 1880, he moved to the community of New Hope in Dallas County. He served six years as a Dallas county commissioner beginning in 1898. In 1904, he and his brother Fletcher moved to the newly established city of Irving in western Dallas County, where they opened Miller Brothers, a hardware and general merchandise store. In 1908, they chartered Irving State Bank. Chaney served as Irving’s mayor from 1917-1919 and from 1923-1927. He was also justice of the peace from 1929-1940. Fletcher was mayor from 1921-1922, at which time he moved to Dallas and established the East Grand Bank.

After the death of his wife Sarah in 1913, Chaney asked his daughter Florence Duckworth and her family to come and live with him. His son-in-law William Duckworth joined him in business, and Miller Brothers became Miller and Duckworth. Lora Anderson, another of Chaney Miller’s daughters, also moved to Irving with her five sons in 1916.

The Haley and Miller families were brought together when Velma Duckworth, granddaughter of Chaney Miller, married Frank Haley, son of Tom Haley. The families were further entwined when C.C. Anderson, also a grandson of Chaney Miller, married Vera Haley, daughter of Tom Haley. C.C. Anderson became the city of Irving’s first full-time employee in 1939. He remained with the city until his retirement in 1972.

The Haley, Miller, Duckworth, and Anderson families played roles in the history of the area from before the inception of the city to the present time. The photos in this collection were donated to the Irving Archives by Sue Haley Huffman, great-granddaughter of Chaney Miller and granddaughter of Tom Haley.

Click on any photo for larger image and information.  

 Chaney Miller
Chaney Miller

 Chaney and Fletcher Miller
Chaney and
Fletcher Miller

 Chaney and Sarah Miller
Chaney and Sarah Miller

Miller store interior
Miller Brothers Store

 Miller store interior
Miller Brothers Store

 Fletcher Miller
Fletcher Miller

 Miller house
First house in Irving

 Tom and Fannie Haley
Tom and Fannie Haley

 Tom Haley and Chaney Miller
Tom Haley and
Chaney Miller

 Main St. Irving 1913
Main Street, Irving, Texas, 1913

 Irving High Class of 1916
Irving High School graduating class, 1916

Irving High School first baseball team, 1914
Irving High School's first baseball team, 1914

 Dr. John Haley with pigeons
Dr. John Haley

 Frank Haley and sisters
Tom, Vera, and Bess Haley, c. 1930s

 Brown and Haley families
Brown and Haley families, c. 1910

Haley's garage
Haley garage

Tom Haley with his grown children
Tom Haley and children, 1944

 Bob Duckworth and daughter Velma
Bob Duckworth and daughter Velma

 Chaney Miller, Florence Duckworth, Velma Duckworth Haley
Millers, Duckworths, and Haleys

 Haley house
Tom and Fannie Haley in front of house


 Page 1 | Page 2 

Digital Collections main page

Irving Archives main page

The Irving Archives provides access to digital materials for educational and research purposes only. Any other use of these materials, including, but not limited to, commercial or scholarly reproductions, redistribution, publication, or transmission, is strictly prohibited without written permission.