Collection: Irving Community Lantern Slide Collection
Collection #: 100-155P-13
Date of photograph: 1925
Original lable on slide: "Dallas County, Irving Negro Church and School."
Description: The Shady Grove C.M.E. Church was founded in 1884. It was established in the Bear Creek community which was about three miles west of the city of Irving in 1925.
Bear Creek is one of the oldest African-American communities in Dallas County, dating back to the 1850s. This particular building, which replaced the original, was built in 1897. The building to the left in the photo was the community schoolhouse which was built by the members of the community and later became part of the Sowers Common School District. Irving annexed the Bear Creek area in 1969.
Information on original photograph: glass slide, 3¼" by 4", black-and-white.
Return to main page | Next image | Previous image