Historical Markers in Irving 

State of Texas Markers

Sowers Cemetery, 1973 (2900 W. Pioneer Drive)
This marker is near the entrance to the cemetery. The cemetery is between Story Road and Belt Line Road.

City of Irving, 1986 (825 W. Irving Blvd.)
This marker is south of the west door to the Civic Center Complex (City Hall). The Civic Center is near the intersection of MacArthur Blvd. and Rock Island Road.

Schulze House, 1986 (303 S. O’Connor Road)
This marker is in front of the house, which is in downtown Irving.

South MacArthur Church of Christ, 1986 (1401 S. MacArthur Blvd.)
This marker is at the northeast corner of the church building. The building is at the corner of MacArthur Blvd. and Shady Grove Road.

St. Luke Catholic Church, 1986 (202 S. MacArthur Blvd.)
This marker is at the southwest corner of the church building. The building is on South MacArthur Boulevard just south of Rock Island Road.

Haley Memorial Cemetery, 1989 (4100 W. Pioneer Drive)
This marker is near the road. The cemetery is on the north side of Pioneer Drive about one mile east of Belt Line Road.

First Baptist Church of Irving, 1991 (403 S. Main St.)
This marker is at the northeast corner of the church building. The building is in downtown Irving.

Shady Grove Road Bridge, 1991 (Irving Blvd. at the Trinity River at the east city limits line)
The marker is on the south side of Irving Blvd. at the head of the bridge.

Daniel Webster Gilbert, M.D., 1997 (Sowers Cemetery)
Grave marker at Dr. Gilbert’s grave in Sowers Cemetery. The marker is just west of the marker for Sowers Cemetery (number 6 above).

Irving Heritage Society* markers

California Crossing, 1986 (California Crossing Road at the Trinity River)
This marker is at the southeast corner of the intersection of Rochelle Road and California Crossing Road in a parking area.

Gilbert House, 1986 (309 S. O’Connor Road)
This marker is mounted on the front of the house. It is a logo marker only and does not include text.

Brown-Parrish House, ca. 1986 (321 S. O’Connor Road)
This marker is mounted on the front of the house. It is a logo marker only and does not include text.

Early Texas Trails, 1990 (201 Rock Island Road)
This marker is inside DART’s South Irving Transit Station in downtown Irving.

Bird’s Fort Trail, 1990 (1329 Walnut Hill Lane)
This marker is at the Boy Scouts of America National Office. It stands in the parking lot on the opposite side from the building. The marker faces and is in line with the front door.

Ledbetter Farm Road, 1995 (Ledbetter Court)
This marker is in the center of the cul-de-sac of Ledbetter Court in western Valley Ranch.

Jackie Mae Townsell, 1995 (3929 Jackson St.)
This marker is in the Jackie Townsell Bear Creek Heritage Center in west Irving.

*The Irving Heritage Society has designed a historical marker that is available to mark historical sites in Irving in lieu of, or in addition to, the historical markers issued by the State of Texas. The markers are physically similar to the state markers.

Return to the Irving Archives main page