To protect new settlements in the Republic of Texas, General Edward Tarrant (namesake for Tarrant County) commissioned Major Jonathan Bird to construct a fort near Caddo Village on the West Fork of the Trinity River. The location of the new Fort Bird would be on Caloway Lake, a now privately owned lake in today’s Arlington, Texas. Upon completion of this new fort, Major Bird and his crew of 36 volunteers blazed a wagon trail back to the old Fort Inglish, creating the Bird’s Fort Trail. Fort Bird became the first official settlement in today’s Tarrant County.
General Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas, traveled the Bird’s Fort Trail in the summer of 1843 to Grape Vine Spring. There his officers negotiated “a Treaty of Peace and Friendship” with 10 Native American Nations.
1. 40 space parking lot with two accessible parking spaces.
2. Campion Trails Dedication Marker.
3. Two river over-look shelters.
4. Large pavilion with seating for 60 persons and a drinking fountain.
5. Campion tails gateway monument with lion sculptures.
6. One and a half (1.50) miles of 12 ft. wide concrete surface trail (not lighted).
7. Various nature and wooded areas.
8. Total acreage: 57.99.