Road Construction Updates
|Subscribe now for email updates on the city's major road construction projects.
The City of Irving works hard to minimize the disruption caused by road construction, and in doing so, wants to keep everyone apprised of construction projects, timelines and traffic flow. While we apologize for the traffic cones, we also know construction means new and improved infrastructure, as well as community growth. Growth brings in the tax revenue needed to continue offering quality services and maintain Irving resident taxes and fees that are among the lowest in North Texas.
Committed to keeping the community informed on capital improvement projects, residents can receive email updates on road construction projects affecting traffic by subscribing to the city’s listserv. Subscribe now for free email updates.
City of Irving Projects
Jun 6, 2014: Open Line - Construction Projects
The City of Irving's Capital Improvement Team provides updates on the progress of the South Irving Library, O'Connor Blvd., Grauwyler Road, Victoria Park and more.
- O’Connor Boulevard - State Highway 114 to Riverside Drive
* Status: Traffic on Las Colinas Boulevard is reduced to one lane in each direction at the intersection of Las Colinas Boulevard and O’Connor Boulevard to facilitate the installation of two water mains, a storm sewer system and pavement. The Las Colinas Boulevard lane closures will remain in effect through approximately November 2014. MORE
Initial pavement demolition is complete, and the domestic and raw water lines are 80 percent completed. Work begins on the storm drainage system.
- O’Connor Road - S.H. 183 to Rochelle Road
* Status: The road construction is completed for the project and all lanes are available for traffic. However, there will be intermittent lane closures to allow the contractor to finish final miscellaneous items from SH 183 to Rochelle. The City of Irving’s Traffic Division will be installing additional traffic buttons onto the pavement from Rochelle to Northgate.
- Manhole Rehabilitation Project (maps)
has 120 wastewater manholes throughout the city in need of repair and/or
replacement. During repairs, each location will typically have a single lane of
traffic affected for approximately three days. The project has an estimated
completion date of May 2015.
* Effective Monday, June 23: Sections of the northbound outside lane of Regent Boulevard, from Royal Ridge Parkway to Statesman Drive (map), will be closed for manhole repairs. The lane will be reopened at the end of each day, and work on Regent Boulevard is expected to be completed mid-July.
- Cheyenne Street – at Northwest Park Recreation Center (maps)
* Status: Expect heavy construction traffic in the recreation center parking lot and along Cheyenne Road. Work will begin on demolishing and reconstructing the tennis courts. Portions of the Northwest Recreation Center parking lot will be closed and used for staging. The courts are scheduled to be back in service around Sept. 15.
- Grauwyler Road/Phase II - From southbound frontage road of Loop 12 to Irving Heights (map)
* Status: Traffic is restricted to eastbound, one-way traffic from Loop 12 southbound frontage road to facilitate road construction. Two-way traffic on Grauwyler is expected to open the week of May 12 from Irving Heights to Brookhollow Street. The roadway and utility work is completed to the west side of Fire Station #3. Work continues on storm drainage system and new water mains. The remaining portion of Grauwyler is projected to be completed this fall.
- Hackberry Road - Belt Line Road to Ranch Trail
* Status: Hackberry Road (known as Chartwell Road in the City of Coppell) was opened to traffic May 30. The short segment of Cypress Waters Boulevard closed to allow for the reconstruction is also open to traffic. However, Cypress Waters Boulevard north of Hackberry Road (located within Dallas city limits) is open only to construction traffic at this time.
In addition, the speed limit for Hackberry/Chartwell has been permanently reduced to 30 mph.
- MacArthur Boulevard - at Belt Line Road (map)
* Status: MacArthur Boulevard will be reduced to one lane in each direction at the intersection of Belt Line Road beginning noon, Monday, July 14, for a complete intersection reconstruction. In addition, Belt Line Road will be completely closed to through traffic. The project is scheduled to be completed no later than mid-August.
Because of the intersection’s proximity to Irving’s north city border, the traffic impact is expected to extend into the city and affect residents, businesses and visitors who regularly travel in and around this area. Full updates and detour information will be maintained by the City of Coppell’s website.
- MacArthur Boulevard - State Highway 183 to Grauwyler Road
* Status: Two-way traffic on MacArthur Boulevard will continue at all times. Relocation of franchise utilities under way with target completion date of June 2014. The 48-inch Jamieson water line pipe is being manufactured, and installation is targeted to begin in July 2014. The project is expected to be completed in the fall of 2015.
- MacArthur Boulevard - Grauwyler Road to Rock Island (map)
* Status: Expect lane closures in the right (outside) northbound and southbound lanes of MacArthur Boulevard between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. for the installation of underground conduit through Oct. 31. In addition, expect periodic closures in the left (inside) lanes at the medians for the installation of street light bases and conduit. Two-way traffic will be maintained at all times. All lanes will be open after 4 p.m. Areas affected will be minimized to reduce traffic congestion while keeping the work zone safe for the construction workers.
- Northgate Drive - Corridor Monuments at Carl Road (map)
* Status: Expect lane closures in the westbound lanes through the end of November. Construction will begin on a new gateway wall monument for this intersection.
- Schulze Drive and Sowers Road - From Second Street to Larry Drive (map)
* Status: Currently closed for the duration of the summer. The road closures will allow the contractor to transport building supplies and various equipment from the storage area without interruption. The closures are necessary to ensure the safety of residents. When school begins in the fall, it is anticipated the roadways will return to a partial closure status to allow for student access to local campuses.
- Story Road - From Rutherford Street to Ridgewood Street (map)
* Status: The southbound side of North Story Road from Rutherford Street to Ridgewood Street is closed for wastewater main construction. Two-way traffic will continue on the northbound side of Story Road, with a single lane in each direction. Residents whose driveways will be directly affected by the work will be provided access routes through the work zone. All businesses and residences will be accessible during construction. The contractor has begun installation of the sewer main under Story Road; more than 50 percent of the pipe has been installed at this time.
Updated July 17