Benefits of Recycling
- Recycling 1 ton of glass saves the equivalent of 9 gallons of oil.
- Recycling 1 ton of newspaper saves 17 trees and uses 60% less water.
- 20 recycled aluminum cans can be made with the energy needed to produce 1 can using raw bauxite ore (non-renewable).
- Recycling 1 ton of newspapers saves the same amount of energy contained in 100 gallons of gasoline.
- Approximately 40% of all landfill trash is a paper product. Most paper is 100% recyclable.
- 34.8 billion aluminum cans are thrown away each year.
- In one week, Americans throw away enough cans & bottles to circle the earth 4 times! Cans and bottles can be recycled.
Did you know? The average Texan throws away about 7 pounds of garbage a day (more than the national average), totaling more than one ton a year per person. In Irving, more than 60,000 tons of garbage ends up in our City landfill, with each Irving resident throwing away approximately 3.7 pounds per day. Approximately 80 percent of that waste is potentially recyclable. Instead of throwing away items we no longer need, we can make sure they find their way to the next stage in their life cycle. At home, school, the office, or anywhere, we should REDUCE the amount of waste we produce in the first place; REUSE an item or find someone who can use it; or RECYCLE products, so that our valuable natural resources are used again and again.
By recycling, we can:
Reduce the burden on our landfill
Save tax dollars
Preserve our natural resources
Protect Irving’s beautiful landscape
Sometimes we have no choice but to throw away our waste, but there are many times when we can make alternate decisions. For one person to do it, it may not seem like much, but if everyone makes a small change in their waste handling habits, it will make a big difference for us all.
- 1 ton of recycled paper = 17 trees saved
- 1 ton of recycled paper = 7,000 gallons of water saved
- 1 ton of recycled paper reduces overall emission of air pollution effluents by 60 pounds per ton of paper produced.
- 1 ton of paper recycled requires approximately 4,102 kWh less energy than virgin paper production.
- Glass can be recycled forever with no loss of quality.
- Recycling just 1 aluminum can saves as much electricity as it takes to run your TV set for 4 hours.