Special Waste

The average Texas household produces approximately 15 pounds of household hazardous waste per year. To help you to properly dispose of these materials, the City provides collection of various materials in our special waste program. Additionally, some of these materials can be taken directly to the Hunter Ferrell Landfill. 

Irving's Solid Waste Services provides curbside collection of special waste to Irving residents at no additional charge. See the information below.

Special waste is considered to be small quantities of the following items:
  • household paint
  • used motor oil (R)
  • used oil filters (R)
  • antifreeze (R)
  • vegetable oil (R)
  • transmission fluid (R)
  • automotive tires (R)
  • lead acid automotive batteries (R)
  • Sharps/Needles
(R) = denotes materials are recycled

Special waste collections is provided on your regularly scheduled refuse/garbage collection day. Please follow the directions below and place a few feet away from your regular garbage. Call Solid Waste Services at (972) 721-2232 to inform them of your special waste for collection.

  • Household paint must be put in sealed containers, preferably original container, not larger than 5 gallons in size. No more than 15 gallons at any one time. 
  • Used motor oil must be put in a container less than 1 gallon in size with a secure lid or cap. No more than 5 gallons at any one time.
  • Used oil filters should be placed in clear sealed plastic bags. No more than 5 filters at any 1 time.
  • Antifreeze and transmission fluid must be put in 1 gallon container, preferably the original container. No more than 5 gallons at any one time.
  • Vegetable oil, also known as “yellow grease”, is acceptable. This refers to vegetable-based cooking oils such as sunflower, cottonseed, peanut, and canola. This does not include animal fats such as bacon grease, also known as "brown grease". Place your vegetable oil, once cool, in the original container or in 1 gallon container(s) with a screw top lid to prevent spillage.
  • Automotive tires should be from a passenger car or light truck, only. Tires in the quantity of 5 at any 1 time, no more than 14 in a calendar month. On the 15th tire, a $13 collection fee is assessed plus a $1 per tire for every tire.
  • Lead acid automotive batteries should be from a passenger car or light truck, only.  No more than 3 at any one time.
  • Sharps/Needles - Residents are required to place all hypodermic needles in a container that cannot be punctured, such as an empty coffee can, plastic milk jug, or soda bottle with lid placed securely on the container and taped closed. Call Solid Waste Services at (972) 721-2232 to arrange for a special pick up.
  • Chemicals or flammable materials (i.e. gasoline, household cleaners, pool chemicals, etc.) or waste that is considered hazardous, unidentifiable or questionable will not be collected by the Special Waste Collection Vehicle. Dallas County residents should call the Home Chemical Collection Center at (214) 553-1765 for more information on how to properly dispose of household hazardous materials.

If you have any questions, please call Solid Waste Collections at (972) 721-8059.


Home Chemical Collection

The City of Irving is making it even easier for residents to dispose of household hazardous waste by offering home chemical collection events.  Items accepted include pool chemicals, cleaners & polishes, craft & hobby supplies, chemical products for home use, home repair products, lawn & garden chemicals and fluorescent light bulbs.

Home Chemical Collection events are from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on the following dates.
Please note our new location at 128 N. Briery Road, Irving, TX 75061.

  • Oct. 25, 2014
  • Feb. 28, 2015
  • Jun. 13, 2015

Vouchers are required, and can be requested through Solid Waste Services at (972) 721-8059.

Residents are reminded that paint, used motor oil & filters, tires, automotive batteries, and cooking oil curbside on your normal trash days.  For specific setout instructions, please call (972) 721-2232.

Location Map