The office of media affairs consists of a media relations officer and two police media affairs coordinators. The media relations officer is the primary point of contact for the media and is responsible for the release of newsworthy information regarding arrests, investigations, major incidents, crime statistics, etc. They act as the police department’s spokesperson and conducts most of the television, radio and newspaper interviews. The media affairs coordinators are responsible for all Irving Police Department social media sites, the website, video production and acting as back-up public information officers, as needed.
The current Public Information Officer (PIO) is Officer Robert Reeves who has been with the department since 2003. During that time, he was assigned to the North and South Patrol Division. Within the last 15-years, he has served as a Patrol Training Officer and held positions in the Problem Solving Unit and Tactical Unit, as well as participated on the Honor Guard. He currently teaches the Positive Role Models In Drug Education (PRIDE) program and serves as an instructor for Unmanned Aircraft Systems, Bicycle Certification and Recruits In-Service. He will serve as the primary point-of-contact for the media and will assist with the Media Affairs team.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Chelsey Jones, started with the City of Irving in 2009 and was transferred to the Community Services Division at the Irving Police Department in 2011. While there, her primary responsibility was to manage the convenience store program but has been heavily involved in the department’s social media outreach since 2012. She is a TCOLE certified Crime Prevention Specialist. In 2017, she was transferred to Administration as one of two media affairs coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving and is an Irving Tiger Alumni. She also attended North Lake Community College where she received her associate’s degree.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Tara Taylor, started with the Irving Police Department in 2012 as a dispatcher. In 2014, she transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division where she served as the Staff Assistant. In 2017, she was transferred to Administration as one of two media affairs coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving and is a Nimitz Viking Alumni. She also attended University of North Texas where she received her bachelor’s degree in applied arts and sciences.
Media Releases (Past 12 Months)
- Media Release 08282020 - One Mind Campaign
- Media Release 08262020 - Capture Yaser Said
- Media Release 08212020 - Endangered Missing Persons Alert
- Media Release 07252020 - Silver Alert
- Media Release 07172020 - Silver Alert
- Media Release 07052020 - Officer Involved Shooting
- Media Release 07042020 - Officer Involved Shooting
- Media Release 07022020 - DWI Enforcement
- Media Release 06072020 - AMBER Alert
- Media Release 05212020 - Murder update
- Media Release 05142020 - CLEAR Alert
- Media Release 05102020 - CLEAR Alert
- Media Release 04272020 - Capital Murder
- Media Release 04122020 Silver Alert
- Media Release 04022020 Officer Involved Shooting
- Media Release 03162020 DWI Operations
- Media Release 02042020 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 12232019 DWI No Refusal Operation
- Media Release 12132019 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 12112019 Intoxication Manslaughter
- Media Release 12042019 Burglary Suspects
- Media Release 11212019 Criminal Mischief Update
- Media Release 10312019 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 10012019 Invasive Visual Recording