The office of media affairs consists of a media relations officer and two police media affairs coordinators. The media relations officer is the primary point of contact for the media and is responsible for the release of newsworthy information regarding arrests, investigations, major incidents, crime statistics, etc. They act as the police department’s spokesperson and conducts most of the television, radio and newspaper interviews. The media affairs coordinators are responsible for all Irving Police Department social media sites, the website, video production and acting as back-up public information officers, as needed.
The current Public Information Officer (PIO) is Officer James McLellan who has been with the department since 1993. He began his career as a Public Service Officer until 1997 at which time he was sworn in as a police officer. He worked in the patrol division until 2004 then was transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division. While there, he worked as the legal liaison and as a detective in the General Assignments, Burglary and Financial Crimes sections. In 2014, he was asked to serve as the department’s Public Information Officer.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Chelsey Jones, started with the City of Irving in 2009 and was transferred to the Community Services Division at the Irving Police Department in 2011. While there, her primary responsibility was to manage the convenience store program but has been heavily involved in the department’s social media outreach since 2012. She is a TCOLE certified Crime Prevention Specialist. In 2017, she was transferred to Administration as one of two media affairs coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving, TX and is an Irving Tiger Alumni. She also attended North Lake Community College where she received her associate’s degree.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Tara Taylor, started with the Irving Police Department in 2012 as a dispatcher. In 2014, she transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division where she served as the Staff Assistant. In 2017, she was transferred to Administration as one of two media affairs coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving, TX and is a Nimitz Viking Alumni. She also attended University of North Texas where she received her bachelor’s degree in applied arts and sciences.
Media Releases (Past 12 Months)
- Media Release 122018 Passing of former Irving Police Chief Lowell Cannaday
- Media Release 122018 New Years Eve DWI No Refusal Operations
- Media Release 102518 Homicide Investigation Update
- Media Release 101218 Fatal Hit & Run Crash Update
- Media Release 101018 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 100318 Fatal Hit & Run Investigation
- Media Release 092618 Sexual Assault Investigation
- Media Release 091818 Domestic Disturbance Shooting
- Media Release 060518 Homicide Investigation (PDF)
- Media Release 051418 Indecency with a Child Investigation (PDF)
- Media Release 041618 Human Trafficking Investigation (PDF)
- Media Release 040318 Suspicious Package Investigations (PDF)
- Media Release 032718 Fatality Crash (PDF)
- Media Release 032318 Homicide Investigation Update (PDF)
- Media Release 031618 Homicide Investigation (PDF)
- Media Release 031218 St Patricks Day Weekend DWI No Refusal Operations(PDF)
- Media Release 030118 Harassment Investigation (PDF)
- Media Release 012318 Officer Involved Shooting Update (PDF)
- Media Release 012218 Officer Involved Shooting (PDF)
- Media Release 011818 Infant Death Investigation (PDF)
- Media Release 011718 Homicide Investigation Update (PDF)
- Media Release 011218 Homicide Investigation (PDF)
- Media Release 011118 New Years Eve Weekend DWI No Refusal Results (PDF)
- Media Release 010818 Homicide Investigation Update McDade (PDF)
- Media Release 010518 Homicide Investigation Update Williams (PDF)
- Media Release 122517 Homicide Investigation (PDF)