The office of media affairs consists of a media relations officer and two police media affairs coordinators. The media relations officer is the primary point of contact for the media and is responsible for the release of newsworthy information regarding arrests, investigations, major incidents, crime statistics, etc. They act as the police department’s spokesperson and conducts most of the television, radio and newspaper interviews. The media affairs coordinators are responsible for all Irving Police Department social media sites, the website, video production and acting as back-up public information officers, as needed.
The current Public Information Officer (PIO) is Officer Robert Reeves who has been with the department since 2003. During that time, he was assigned to the North and South Patrol Division. Within the last 15-years, he has served as a Patrol Training Officer and held positions in the Problem Solving Unit and Tactical Unit, as well as participated on the Honor Guard. He currently teaches the Positive Role Models In Drug Education (PRIDE) program and serves as an instructor for Unmanned Aircraft Systems, Bicycle Certification and Recruits In-Service. He will serve as the primary point-of-contact for the media and will assist with the Media Affairs team.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Chelsey Jones, started with the City of Irving in 2009 and was transferred to the Community Services Division at the Irving Police Department in 2011. While there, her primary responsibility was to manage the convenience store program but has been heavily involved in the department’s social media outreach since 2012. She is a TCOLE certified Crime Prevention Specialist. In 2017, she was transferred to Administration as one of two media affairs coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving and is an Irving Tiger Alumni. She also attended North Lake Community College where she received her associate’s degree.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Tara Taylor, started with the Irving Police Department in 2012 as a dispatcher. In 2014, she transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division where she served as the Staff Assistant. In 2017, she was transferred to Administration as one of two media affairs coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving and is a Nimitz Viking Alumni. She also attended University of North Texas where she received her bachelor’s degree in applied arts and sciences.
Media Releases (Past 12 Months)
- Media Release 121319 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 121119 Intoxication Manslaughter
- Media Release 120419 Burglary Suspects
- Media Release 112119 Criminal Mischief Update
- Media Release 103119 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 100119 Invasive Visual Recording
- Media Release 092019 Man With Gun
- Media Release 081119 Dog Attack Update
- Media Release 072619 Deceased Infant Update
- Media Release 070219 July 4th DWI Enforcement Initiative
- Media Release 070119 Homicide Investigation Update
- Media Release 062419 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 050319 Aggravated Sexual Assault of Child
- Media Release 042619 Indecency with a Child Investigation
- Media Release 032319 Dog Attack Investigation Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window.
- Media Release 031419 St Patrick's Day DWI No Refusal Operation Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window.
- Media Release 030119 Shooting Investigation Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window.S
- Media Release 022519 Fatal Crash Opens a New Window.
- Media Release 012519 Kidnapping & Robbery Investigation Opens a New Window.
- Media Release 012119 Barricaded Person Opens a New Window.
- Media Release 011119 New Years Eve DWI No Refusal Resultss a New Window. ens a New Window Opens a New Window.