IRVING POLICE DEPARTMENT
CIVIL SERVICE TEST SIGN UP AND INFORMATION
We are still processing the February 2022 List
Next Civil Service Exam will be offered at two locations!
Los Angeles, California
8 A.M. PDT | June 25, 2022
The Westin Los Angeles Airport
8 A.M. CDT | June 25, 2022
Nimitz High School
Complete the online REGISTRATION to reserve your test.
An email will be sent to you prior to the test in order for you to declare which location you plan on attending.
The tests begin promptly at 8 a.m. Applicants should plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior (7:30 a.m.).
Physical fitness testing for applicants successfully passing the IRVING written exam will occur later the same day at Nimitz High School Track. Applicants that successfully pass the Los Angeles written exam will be scheduled to complete their physical fitness test at a later date.
The hiring of police officers is an essential government function to support the health and safety of the City of Irving. Proper social distancing practices will be utilized during the testing procedure. Any person found to have related COVID symptoms will not be granted admittance.
For more information, contact Investigator Trezza via email.
Before taking the exam, applicants should review the application information list (PDF). This requested information should be collected prior to attending the exam and will be used to complete the Personal History Statement (PHS).
- Review the written test study guide.
- Review fitness test standards.
- Bring your own #2 pencil(s) for the written exam.
A Personal History Statement (PHS) booklet will be provided to applicants on the test day. The PHS booklet provided on the test day will be due back 10 days from the test date. In preparation for civil service exam, applicants can Download a copy of the Personal History Statement.
- The PHS must be handwritten by the applicant in black Ink.
- Either the downloaded version or the booklet handed out the day of the exam is the acceptable form.
- Applicants are encouraged to download the PHS booklet for the opportunity to provide a complete and thorough personal history statement.
In-state and out-of-state applicants and laterals will have to travel to Irving three times during the hiring process.
- Sign up online for the civil service test. If online registration is closed, walk-ins will be accepted on the day of the test.
- Take the civil service test and the fitness test in-person. Expect these tests will take up most of the day, until about 5 p.m.
- Applicants must score a 70 or above on the written test to move on to the fitness test.
- Information about the fitness test is available online.
Once the civil service and fitness tests are passed, the applicant is placed on an eligibility list based on the civil service test score. That eligibility list will be available on Police Recruiting website within 10 days of the civil service test administration.
- Eligible applicants will be invited back to Irving for a prepolygraph interview and a polygraph. Applicants must successfully pass both component to move into the background phase of the process.
- Once the background check is completed, eligible applicants will be invited back again for the oral board.
- Upon passing the oral board, applicants will be invited to sign a conditional hire agreement. The agreement is based on an applicant passing the psychological test and medical exam.
- After passing the psychological test and medical exam, an applicant is given a start date.
All noncommissioned applicants will attend a five-month police academy to obtain a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) License. The academy is held 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. Lateral In-state officer applicants with at least 12 months of patrol experience will be required to attend a 9 week abbreviated training program. Lateral out-of-state applicants with patrol experience may be eligible to attend an abbreviated in-house lateral police academy if they meet the TCOLE requirements for challenging the state test.
Further information on the HIRING PROCESS
Look up Irving Police Department salary data for police and detention officers, as well as dispatchers.
Find out what kind of promotions are available to officers in the Irving Police Department.
View retirement benefits for the City of Irving Police Department
See a breakdown of all the benefits offered by the Irving Police Department.
The City of Irving employs a biweekly, 80-hour pay period. During each pay period, Irving Police officers work six 12-hour shifts and one eight-hour shift.
POLICE SALARY CALCULATOR
This page contains a link to look up potential total salary calculations to help make an informed
G. Williams, Sergeant
D. Moore, Investigator
C. Trezza, Investigator
K. Dingledine, Investigator
N. Gard, Investigator
R. McMahan, Investigator
Email Officer McMahan
P: (972) 721-3574
305 N. O'Connor Road
Irving, TX 75061
Phone: (972) 721-3795
Toll free: (877) 777-3750
For Detention application questions, call (972) 721-2745.
For Dispatcher application questions, call (972) 721-4773.