Next Civil Service Exam
8 a.m. | october 9, 2021
Nimitz High School, 100 W. Oakdale, Irving, TX 75060.
The test begins promptly at 8 a.m. Applicants should plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior (7:30 a.m.).
Online registration is open
- Walk-in applicants will be accepted at Nimitz on October 9th on a limited basis.
- Valid photo identification is required when checking in for the exam.
- Former military applicants with an honorable discharge should bring their DD-214 to receive veteran's points upon passing the exam.
- Physical fitness testing for applicants successfully passing the written exam will occur later the same day at Nimitz High School Track.
For more information, contact Investigator Trezza via email.
The hiring of police officers is an essential government function to support the health and safety of the City of Irving. Proper social distancing practices will be employed during testing.
Each applicant will be screened for symptoms related to the COVID-19 virus prior to admittance to the test. Any person found to have related symptoms will not be granted admittance.
Before taking the exam, applicants should review the application information list (PDF). This requested information should be collected prior to attending the exam and will be used to complete the Personal History Statement (PHS).
- Review the written test study guide.
- Bring your own #2 pencil(s) for the written exam.
A Personal History Statement (PHS) booklet will be provided to applicants on the test day. The PHS booklet provided on the test day will be due back 10 days from the test date. In preparation for civil service exam, applicants can download a copy of the PHS booklet.
- The PHS must be handwritten by the applicant in black Ink.
- Either the downloaded version or the booklet handed out the day of the exam is the acceptable form.
- Applicants are encouraged to download the PHS booklet for the opportunity to provide a complete and thorough personal history statement.
In-state and out-of-state applicants and laterals will have to travel to Irving three times during the hiring process.
- Sign up online for the civil service test. If online registration is closed, walk-ins will be accepted on the day of the test.
- Take the civil service test and the fitness test in-person. Expect these tests will take up most of the day, until about 5 p.m.
- Applicants must score a 70 or above on the written test to move on to the fitness test.
- Information about the fitness test is available online.
Once the civil service and fitness tests are passed, the applicant is placed on an eligibility list based on the civil service test score. That eligibility list will be available on Police Recruiting website within 10 days of the civil service test administration.
- Eligible applicants will be invited back to Irving for a prepolygraph interview and a polygraph. Applicants must successfully pass both component to move into the background phase of the process.
- Once the background check is completed, eligible applicants will be invited back again for the oral board.
- Upon passing the oral board, applicants will be invited to sign a conditional hire agreement. The agreement is based on an applicant passing the psychological test and medical exam.
- After passing the psychological test and medical exam, an applicant is given a start date.
All noncommissioned and out-of-state lateral applicants will attend a five-month police academy to obtain a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) License. The academy is held 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Out-of-State Traveling to Texas Information
Take steps to protect yourself
Clean your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Bring your own #2 pencil(s) for the written exam.
Avoid close contact
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Put distance between yourself and other people; seating for the written exam will be 1 person, every other chair.
- While standing in line for registration, stay 3 or more feet from other registrants as a safety precaution
- When you get to the registration table, keep at least 3 feet between you and the table.
Take steps to protect others
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care. Learn what to do if you are sick.
Cover coughs and sneezes
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Subscribe to email alerts for the next testing dates at the Notify Me page. Enter your email address and select "Police Recruiting Updates" under the Notify Me category. Follow up with the verification email sent to your inbox and add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your Contacts list to ensure you receive messages when they are published.