The hiring of police officers is an essential government function to support the health and safety of the City of Irving. Proper social distancing practices will be employed during testing.
Each applicant will be screened for symptoms related to the COVID-19 virus prior to admittance to the test. Any person found to have related symptoms will not be granted admittance.
Before taking the exam, applicants should review the application information list (PDF). This requested information should be collected prior to attending the exam and will be used to complete the Personal History Statement (PHS).
- Review the written test study guide.
- Bring your own #2 pencil(s) for the written exam.
A Personal History Statement (PHS) booklet will be provided to applicants on the test day. The PHS booklet provided on the test day will be due back 10 days from the test date. In preparation for civil service exam, applicants can download a copy of the PHS booklet.
- The PHS must be handwritten by the applicant in black Ink.
- Either the downloaded version or the booklet handed out the day of the exam is the acceptable form.
- Applicants are encouraged to download the PHS booklet for the opportunity to provide a complete and thorough personal history statement.
In-state and out-of-state applicants and laterals will have to travel to Irving three times during the hiring process.
- Sign up online for the civil service test. If online registration is closed, walk-ins will be accepted on the day of the test.
- Take the civil service test and the fitness test in-person. Expect these tests will take up most of the day, until about 5 p.m.
- Applicants must score a 70 or above on the written test to move on to the fitness test.
- Information about the fitness test is available online.
Once the civil service and fitness tests are passed, the applicant is placed on an eligibility list based on the civil service test score. That eligibility list will be available on Police Recruiting website within 10 days of the civil service test administration.
- Eligible applicants will be invited back to Irving for a prepolygraph interview and a polygraph. Applicants must successfully pass both component to move into the background phase of the process.
- Once the background check is completed, eligible applicants will be invited back again for the oral board.
- Upon passing the oral board, applicants will be invited to sign a conditional hire agreement. The agreement is based on an applicant passing the psychological test and medical exam.
- After passing the psychological test and medical exam, an applicant is given a start date.
All noncommissioned and out-of-state lateral applicants will attend a five-month police academy to obtain a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) License. The academy is held 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Subscribe to email alerts for the next testing dates at the Notify Me page. Enter your email address and select "Police Recruiting Updates" under the Notify Me category. Follow up with the verification email sent to your inbox and add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your Contacts list to ensure you receive messages when they are published.