The internship program is an overview of all police functions. Interns are be required to attend the IPD Citizen Police Academy which meets one night a week during the semester, and on two Saturdays for pursuit driving and firearms. This citizen academy allows the intern to participate in lectures and exercises they would normally not be able to see, such as narcotics presentation, pursuit driving training, and fire arms training. The intern is also required to completes various observations with Patrol, Dispatch, Mental Health Unit, Jail, and participate with our Police Athletics League. The program is flexible to accommodate necessary hours but normally is around 130 hours.
- Earn college credits while experiencing the excitement of the law enforcement field.
- Learn patrol techniques used by police officers today for traffic stops, arrests, searches and community patrols.
- See firsthand what it takes to keep a community safe.
- Flexible schedule available.
- Openings available for Spring and Fall semesters (Occasionally Summer).
- Be enrolled in a college or university law enforcement intern course.
- Have an interest in working in the law enforcement field.
- Complete Intern Personal History Statement.
- Sign required release agreements.
- Pass a background check based on the following areas: criminal history, reference checks, professor recommendation, education background, military background (if applicable), driving history, drug usage and any other area deemed necessary by a background investigator.
- Applicants should possess positive characteristics such as integrity, sound decision making, maturity, judgment and personal responsibility.
- Pass interview with Intern Coordinator.
- If accepted, follow the schedule set by Intern Coordinator, be on time for shifts and act in a professional manner at all times during the internship.
Email the Irving Intern Liaison to start the application process or with any Questions.
Applications for the Fall semester are due no later than the first Friday of July by 12pm.
Applications for the Spring semester are due no later than the first Friday of December by 12pm