Library Card Features
An Irving library card gives the holder access to over one million items in the library’s collection. This includes:
Books, DVDs, Blu-Ray discs, music CDs, magazines, audiobooks, eBooks, online electronic resources (databases), streaming video, music downloads, and special collections such as wi-fi hotspots and Little STEAMer early learning backpacks.
The following is a list of features cardholders may receive:
- Check out library materials
- Use the library computers and tablets
- Place a hold request
- Access electronic tools for research, learning, or job-hunting
- Practice for a professional or academic test
- Use the Make It Yourself Zones (ages 10 and up)
- Irving residents who are card holders in good standing can borrow items from other libraries through our InterLibrary Loan service after one year and through the TexShare program after six months.
Members of the public can visit the Card Types page to determine which card would work best for them and what requirements are involved.
- Accept responsibility for any use of the library card
- Follow all library policies and procedures in effect
- Return all borrowed materials on time
- Pay all fees or charges on the library card
- Report a lost or stolen card
- Promptly report any change of address, phone or e-mail
All items checkout for 21 days. Items in high demand, such as bestsellers or blockbuster movies, are available for a 10 day checkout.
Library staff are unable to access a borrower’s PIN. Card holders who have an email address on file may have a PIN reset link emailed to them by following this link. Cardholders can also present their photo ID at any library location to have their PIN manually reset.
Card Number Assistance/Replacement cards
For security reasons, library card numbers cannot be supplied, but replacement cards can be issued at any library location with a valid photo ID and the clearing of any overdue materials or charges. There is a $2.00 fee for a replacement card. Patrons who have simply forgotten a plastic card at home or temporarily misplaced it can access most library services with a photo ID or card number saved in a digital card app.
If you need additional assistance, please call the library at (972) 721-2440
or email Circulation.