Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows our library to borrow books for you from other libraries throughout Texas and the United States. The ILL system utilizes the Texas Group Catalog to place ILL requests.
The Interlibrary Loan service is for Irving residents only who have a full access library card in good standing. You may have up to 10 active ILL requests on your account at one time.
Please check the Irving Public Library online catalog before requesting books through ILL. Requests for items owned by Irving Public Library may be cancelled. The library does not supply audio-visual items through ILL. Please note that ILL materials may take two to six weeks to arrive. For questions about your request, contact the ILL Office at (972) 721-4629.
HOW TO PLACE AN INTERLIBRARY LOAN REQUEST
(Irving Residents only)
- Search for material by title, author, or subject in the using the basic default search or the Advanced Search.
- Refine your results list by clicking a format, author, year, language, content, or topic in the left-hand navigation bar.
- When you find the item you wish to request, click on the title.
- Check to be sure that Irving Public Library does not appear in the results list as owning the title.
- Click on the Request Item button below the blue Find a Copy bar.
- Choose Irving Public Library from the drop-down list. Note that you should check the keep me logged in box unless you are on a public computer.
- Click Continue and log in with your library card number and PIN.
- On the Request This Item screen, complete all required fields (*) and include any patron instructions.
- Select a pickup location
- You must include an email address to be notified about cancelled requests.
- Click Continue to submit your request.
- Your ILL requests can be reviewed once you are on the page. Hover over the top left link “Texas Group Catalog” and click on My Requests.
TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL ILL REQUESTS
Can an Interlibrary Loan Item Be Renewed?
ILL Navigator Problems
If you are receiving a message stating unrecognized user / can’t log in, possible reasons are:
- Library Card Expired
- New / Replaced Library Card Number
- Not an Irving Resident
- Overdue Items or Bills
- Exceeded the Maximum Number of Holds Allowed
- New – The request has been sent to ILL staff for approval.
- Pending – The request has been made and sent to other libraries.
- Idle – There is an issue with the request and it needs to be reviewed by ILL staff.
- In Process – The request is being processed by the lending library. The item has not been shipped.
- Shipped – The book is being shipped to Irving Public Library (it has not arrived).
- Received – The book has been received by IPL. The book will need to be processed before it is sent to your library for pickup.
- Returned – The book has been checked in and returned to the lending library. The item will be removed from your Texas Group Catalog account once it is received by the lending library.
Not seeing one of your requests? When a request is cancelled, it will be removed from your “My Requests” list and a message with an explanation about the cancellation is sent to the email address you provided. Please contact the ILL Office or call (972) 721-4629 with any questions.