UPDATE: The Interlibrary Loan Offices are closed as of March 23, 2020. Any ILL requests placed will be canceled/not be supplied. You may place your ILL requests once the Library and the ILL offices re-open. For customers with ILL books currently checked out, please use the May 1, 2020 as the due date to return the item. Thank you.
How to Place an ILL Request
Please check the Irving Public Library catalog before requesting books through ILL. Requests for items owned by Irving Public Library will be cancelled. The library does not supply audio-visual items through ILL.
If not owned by Irving:
- Search for material by title, author, or subject in the Texas Group Catalog using the basic default search or the Advanced Search
- Refine your results list by clicking a format: author, year, language, content, audience, or topic in the left-hand navigation bar
- When you find the item you wish to request, click on the title
- Check to be sure that Irving Public Library does not appear in the results list as owning the title
- Click on the Request Item button below the blue Find a Copy bar
- Choose Irving Public Library from the drop-down list. Note that you should check the keep me logged in box unless you are on a public computer
- Click Continue and log in with your library card number and PIN
- On the Request This Item screen, complete all required fields and include any patron instructions
- Select a pickup location
- You must include an email address if you want to be notified about cancelled items
- Click Continue to submit your request
- Your ILL requests can be reviewed by logging in to My Requests once you are on the Texas Group Catalog Opens a New Window. page.
Please note that ILL materials may take two to six weeks to arrive. If you have questions about your request, contact the ILL Office at 972-721-4629.
Tips for Successful ILL Requests
- Choose the title with the most owning libraries to have a better chance of obtaining the book
- Do not enter a need by date earlier than about three weeks in the future
- Do not request Microforms, DVDs, CDs, or other audio-visual materials; these will be cancelled
- Do not request new books, most libraries will not loan these
What is Interlibrary Loan Service?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows us to borrow books for you from other libraries throughout Texas and the United States. You may have up to 10 active ILL requests on your account at one time.
ILL privileges are available to Irving residents with a full access library card. New card holders, and those on a restricted use card are ineligible to borrow books through ILL. Non-resident library card holders and TexShare card borrowers must initiate ILL requests through their home (i.e. non-Irving) library.
Texas Group Catalog
The ILL system utilizes the Texas Group Catalog to place ILL requests through WorldCat Navigator. This interface allows you, as a resident, to request items using your Irving Public Library card barcode and PIN number.
The ILL system integrates with our local computer system to provide a single library account for all of your holds, notices and checkouts--including ILL items. Your library card account must be in good standing in order to place an ILL request.
ILL Navigator Problems
If you are receiving a message stating unrecognized user / can't log in, possible reasons are:
- Library Card Expired
- New / Replaced Library Card Number
- Not an Irving Resident
- Overdue Items or Bills
- Too Many Holds
Can an interlibrary loan item be renewed?
“Maybe”—it depends on the lending library. Some libraries have a ‘No Renewals’ policy. Others may allow one (1) renewal. Renewals should be requested 3-5 days before the due date to expect a ‘yes’ response. Renewal requests are for a 2-week period and an item will only be renewed once.