How to Obtain a Youth Card
- Children under the age of 16 may obtain a card upon application by a parent or legal guardian.
- Anyone aged 16 or 17 who cannot provide the documentation required for an adult card may obtain a card upon application by a parent or legal guardian.
- The parent or legal guardian must have a card in good standing with no overdue items or outstanding bills, or the parent or legal guardian must obtain a card.
- Parent or legal guardian and child must visit a library together to obtain a youth card. The parent or legal guardian must complete the application for library card for member under 16 years of age.
- Parents can preregister to obtain a Youth Card. All conditions regarding documentation and good standing apply when card is picked up.
About Youth Cards
The parent or legal guardian will receive a copy of the application. Youth cards are linked to the card of the parent or legal guardian. All notices will be delivered to the parent or legal guardian. The parent or legal guardian is responsible for all items checked out on the child’s card. A Legal guardian other than parent must be able to present documentation for guardianship at registration and renewal.
Privileges granted by the youth card are identical to those of a Full Access adult card.
When the youth card is first issued, it will have a limit of up to 10 items out at one time and will expire in 90 days. At that time, if there are no overdue items and no bills on the account for the previous 90 days, the youth, parent, or legal guardian may request that the card be upgraded to a full privilege card that allows checking out of as many as 50 items at one time.
Computer Use Only Card
A child with a school ID, Texas ID, or driver’s license, and whose parent or legal guardian does not have a card in good standing may obtain a Computer Use Only card.
Youth Card Renewals
For renewing a child’s card in-person, the child or the library card must be present. The parent must then show the photo ID with the correct address. Youth cards are not eligible for online renewals.