Volunteer at the Library
Access a volunteer application (PDF), fill it out, and return to your nearest branch location.
Volunteer at the Library
The Irving Public Library welcomes the opportunity to work with community volunteers and students in a variety of ways at the multiple library locations. Volunteers help the library provide an enhanced level of service to citizens and visitors, while in turn providing much appreciated assistance to the library staff. At this time, the Library does not accept Court-Mandated Community Services assignments.
Volunteer Process Steps
- Apply - Complete an application and drop if off at any library location.
- Interview - The Volunteer Coordinator will schedule potential volunteers for an interview.
- Attend Orientation - Accepted volunteers will be scheduled to attend an orientation session.
- Volunteer - Receive a volunteer assignment that is perfect for you!
Committed community volunteers with a love of the Library.
- Preparing craft supplies and materials
- Repair and maintenance of library materials
- Assist library staff with programs / classes
- Assist the public with basic computer usage
- Straightening shelves
- Sorting and re-shelving library materials
- Various tasks throughout the library system
- Minimum age 15, with a preference for older teens and adults
- Resident of Irving
- Willingness to assist others
Service Learning Volunteers
Students in pursuit of volunteer hours to fulfill a class, organization, college, or church program requirement.
- Minimum age 16
- Resident of Irving OR in attendance at a school or college in Irving
- Commitment to a minimum service time of eight weeks within a semester.
Service Learning volunteer opportunities are similar to those for Docent volunteers as listed above; may include membership in the Young Adult Action Council (YAAC) and some seasonal assignments. Volunteer opportunities may be limited at various times of the year. Preference will be given for work assignments to students showing a commitment to the Library and a responsibility toward work schedules and deadlines.
Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Irving Public Library is a non-profit organization formed in support of the library. Most Friends volunteers are also members of the organization.
Friends Volunteer Opportunities
- Assist with sorting, labeling and maintaining books and materials at the Friends location
- Assist with book sales and events as scheduled
For more information or to become a Friends member, visit the Friends webpage.
Community Service Restitution
At this time, the Irving Public Library does not accept court-mandated community service assignments.