Rape Aggression Defense Systems
Upcoming Classes: June 28-July 1, Aug. 2-5
Hosted by the Irving Police Department, Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) Systems classes are designed to teach women and girls 12 years and older realistic self-defense tactics and techniques. The course is taught by Irving police officers who are nationally certified RAD instructors. These free classes are open to any female, 12 years and older, living in or visiting the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area.
The upcoming classes are open to girls ages 12 to 18:
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., June 28 - July 1
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Aug. 2-5
Classes are held at the Police Training Academy, 2603 Esters Road. Parking is available in the north parking lot, near the water tower.
- Bring completed registration forms and waivers to first class.
- Wear basic workout attire: something comfortable that would be worn to the gym, such as T-shirt, shorts or pants, and closed-toe lace-up shoes. No sandals, boots, or open-toe shoes.
- Bring a snack and something to drink.
- Bring lunch/drink for the first three days. On the last day, we will provide pizza/ice cream (if any dietary restrictions please bring your own lunch).
Learn more about the national RAD Systems program.
RAD is designed to engage participants in a series of hands-on, realistic, self-defense tactics and reinforce the power of the voice. The RAD curriculum teaches basic self-defense, as well as focusing on self-awareness, risk reduction and avoidance. These programs include educational components comprised of lectures, discussions and physical resistance strategies. The goal of the program is to develop and enhance a woman’s options for self-defense, giving her viable considerations if she is attacked.
Designed for women and girls of all skill levels, each class is split into three-hour sessions held over a four-day period, providing flexibility for those who work or attend school.
In addition, participants who complete the program are eligible for RAD Systems’ Lifetime Return and Practice Policy, allowing them free acceptance to any class held in the United States or Canada for additional practice and education. This program is a great opportunity for women of all skill levels.