The Fire Prevention Division of the Irving Fire Department has 19 people assigned to it, including the Fire Marshal, Assistant Fire Marshal, and three Fire Prevention Lieutenants. 16 are State of Texas Certified Fire Inspectors and Fire Investigators. Fifteen are Texas Certified Arson Investigators. Fire Prevention staff operate out of the Fire Administration office, the North Inspection office located at Station 11, and at the Public Education Station.
The duties of the Fire Prevention Division include:
- Assisting in the formulation and revision of ordinances and fire codes
- Conducting Certificate of Occupancy and other inspections to assure compliance with fire and safety codes and ordinances
- Conducting comprehensive educational programs on fire safety and fire prevention for commercial businesses and industrial organizations
- Enforcing the laws of the City of Irving and the State of Texas pertaining to fire prevention and arson
- Investigating the cause of fires, determining facts, and gathering evidence of suspicious and suspected arson fires
- Reviewing building plans to assure compliance with life and fire safety requirements