Why Choose Irving?
The City of Irving is a vibrant and dynamic community with more than 235,000 residents.
The Irving Police Department has more than 400 sworn officers and 49 detention officers. The police department’s facilities include two police stations, a Family Advocacy Center, a Police Athletic League facility and a full-service Police Academy.
Irving is looking for individuals who possess good decision-making abilities and good judgment, as well as demonstrate dependability, emotional control and, above all, impeccable integrity.
- At least 18 years of age
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- A valid Class C Texas driver’s license and a good driving record
- The ability to pass a thorough background check
Working in a Jail Environment
Working in the Irving Jail is not only safe, but it is an exciting and challenging career choice.
Detention officers also have the opportunity to become specialized in areas such as Gangs, Use of Force and Mental Health Awareness. After a year or more of service, detention officers have the opportunity to become mentors or training officers.
Once hired, new officers attend four months of training. During this time, they are trained in:
- Law and Government: Laws, penal codes, court procedures and government regulations.
- Jail Safety and Security: Principles and proper procedures for prisoner and officer safety, including use of force, search and restraint.
- Mechanical/Technical: Safe operation of various equipment, including restraint devices, life support systems, computers and radios.
Upon completion of training, new hires also attain the following certifications:
- Appropriate National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Texas Crime Information Center (TCIC) access certification.
- Breath Intoxilyzer 5000 TCOLE certification.
- 120 hours of vacation
- Nine paid holidays
- 16 hours of personal leave
- 120 hours of sick leave with unlimited accumulation
- 40 hours of sick leave can be used for family illness
- Tuition reimbursement
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Two health insurance plans
- Life insurance
- Longevity pay - $6 per month each full year of service
- In-house fitness centers
- Group dental insurance available
- 12-hour shifts
- Also provides for long-term disability protection and survivor benefits
- With 2 years experience you are eligible for a partial waiver for the college requirement to be a police officer. For more information, please click here.
- $ 1,500 Hiring Incentive Program for Detention Officers
- $500 after first 30 days of employment
- $500 successful completion of 6 months
- $500 completion of one year
The City of Irving participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System.
- Employees contribute 7 percent.
- City of Irving matches contributions two-to-one.
- Vested after five years of service.
- Eligibility at 20 years of service at any age or at 60 years of age with at least five years of service.
- Supplemental Benefit Plan: 2.5 percent employee contribution for supplemental retirement annuity fund.
- Also provides for long-term disability protection and survivor benefits.
The average City of Irving Detention Officer salary is $45,168 per year.
|Less than 1 year||$43,092|
|Training Officer||3% of pay|
|Night Shift||3% of pay|
|Fitness||$50 to $150|
|Bilingual||$40 to $250|