Why Choose Irving?
The City of Irving is a vibrant and dynamic community with more than 235,000 residents that offers a competitive salary and benefits package that boast a cost of living below the national average.
The Irving Police Department has 45 dispatchers and at least 52 percent are Intermediate or Advanced Certified Telecommunicators.
The department's facilities include two police stations, a Family Advocacy Center, a Police Athletic League facility and a full-service Police Academy.
The City of Irving is looking for individuals who possess good decision-making abilities and judgment, as well as demonstrate dependability, emotional control and, above all, impeccable integrity.
- U.S. Citizen, at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
- No Class B misdemeanor convictions within the past 10 years
- No Class A misdemeanor convictions or higher
- Must receive Basic Telecommunicator Certification within the first year
- One year of related call center or multiple phone line experience preferred
- Knowledge of:
- English language, including meanings of words and grammar
- Customer service skills
- Basic math
- Office software
Applicants will complete an application with the City of Irving. Additional steps in the process include:
- Criti-Call Test
- Background investigation
- Interview board
- Drug screen
Training for all new dispatchers involves 160 hours of classroom training and eight weeks with a Certified Training Officer.
A Dispatcher II, upon completion of basic training, will be released to work the floor without a training officer for a period of time moving into the second part of training. The second phase includes:
- 40 hours of classroom training
- 200 hours of police radio training
- 200 hours of national crime computer training with a Certified Training Officer
- 120 hours of vacation
- Nine paid holidays
- 16 hours of personal leave
- 120 hours of sick leave with unlimited accumulation
- 40 hours of sick leave can be used for family illness
- Tuition reimbursement
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Two health insurance plans
- Life insurance
- Longevity pay - $6 per month each full year of service
- In-house fitness centers
- Group dental insurance available
- 12-hour shifts
- Also provides for long-term disability protection and survivor benefits
The City of Irving participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System.
- Employees contribute 7 percent.
- City of Irving matches contributions two-to-one.
- Vested after five years of service.
- Eligibility at 20 years of service at any at any age or at 60 years of age with at least five years of service.
- Supplemental Benefit Plan: 2.5 percent employee contribution for supplemental retirement annuity fund.
- Also provides for long-term disability protection and survivor benefits.
| Position||Annual Salary|
|Police Communications Supervisor||$56,784-$80,052|
|Training Officer||3% of pay|
|Fitness||$50 to $150|
|Bilingual||$40 to $250|