- Departments A - H
- Customer Service / Utilities
- Billing Information
- Understanding Your Bill
- Line Item Explanation of Municipal Bill
Line Items on the Municipal Services Bill (Explained)
Water Service Charge
This charge is a base charge set on meter size and includes the first 3,000 gallons of water usage on the meter each month.
Water Usage - Residential, Apartment, Commercial
This charge is calculated and billed based on water consumption over the base “Water Service Charge.” These are structured in an inverted rate and based on usage tiers. These tiers are as follows: 4,000 to 10,000 gallons are billed at $4.60 per thousand; 11,000 to 20,000 gallons are billed at $4.96 per thousand; and any consumption 21,000 gallons and more are billed for
- RESIDENTIAL at $5.30 per thousand, October through May; and $5.83 per thousand, June through September.
- APARTMENT and COMMERCIAL at $5.30 per thousand, October through May; and $5.83 per thousand, June through September.
Water Usage - Industrial
This charge is calculated and billed based on water consumption over the base “Water Service Charge.” These are structured in an inverted rate and based on usage tiers. These tiers are as follows:
- 4,000 to 10,000 gallons are billed at $4.60 per thousand
- 11,000 to 20,000 gallons are billed at $4.96 per thousand
- Any consumption 21,000 gallons and more are billed at $4.35 per thousand.
This charge is based on a winter month’s average (January, February and March) and is calculated using the water usages for the given months. This is charged starting in April of the given year and recalculates each year based on the usages for the previously mentioned months. These charges also have a minimum, or base, rate of:
- $6.62 for RESIDENTIAL that includes 2,000 gallons of wastewater
- $33.64 for COMMERCIAL that includes 10,000 gallons of wastewater
- $50.47 for INDUSTRIAL that includes 15,000 gallons of wastewater
Winter average consumption above the base are charged as follows:
- $3.56 for RESIDENTIAL wastewater per thousand over 2,000 gallons
- $3.85 for COMMERCIAL wastewater per thousand over 10,000 gallons
- $3.85 for INDUSTRIAL wastewater per thousand over 15,000 gallons
For example, if a residential wastewater winter month's average is 5,000 gallons, the first 2,000 gallons are part of the base rate. Every 1,000 gallons thereafter is charged at the volume rate, which is $3.56. The remaining usage would be billed $10.68. Add this amount to the minimum, and the sewer charge for this billing period will be $17.30 for the sewer portion of the bill.
This charge is for garbage pick-up services and is based on overall budget needs by the Solid Waste Services Department. This amount is the only taxable item on the Municipal Services Bill.
This charge is assessed on all solid waste pick-up customers to offset fuel costs incurred with the Solid Waste Service Department’s vehicles.
This charge is based on sales tax for the sanitation charge (see above) and is calculated based on City of Irving sales tax requirements.
This fee supplements all emergency medical service operations and equipment costs and is based on budgetary needs for Ambulatory services. These fees are charged to all account holders in the city.
This fee is assessed on all property in the City of Irving and funds storm water drainage issues, such as creek blockages, drainage culvert issues, etc., in the city. The fee is calculated based on non-impervious surface area on the property.
Utility Franchise Fee:
The Utility Franchise Fee is based on 2 percent of water, sewer and sanitation charges on your monthly bill.
Surcharge (Commercial and Industrial):
This charge is assessed to an account that discharges a higher than normal (over strength) sewer discharge into the City of Irving sewerage system. This is calculated based on a formula as outlined in the City of Irving Code of Civil and Criminal Ordinances, Chapter 52, Subsection 4; fees are mandated by the Trinity River Authority.