Building and Equipment Services
Building and Equipment Services Department (BES) is responsible for the operation and maintenance of City buildings, vehicles and equipment.
Building Operations and Maintenance
- Ensure City of Irving facilities operate properly, allowing employees to provide services to our residents, visitors and businesses.
- Prevent facility and system deterioration through preventative maintenance.
- Target operations and energy management toward efficient building practices for cost control and sustainability.
- Maintain proper environmental control for all city facilities through efficient operations, maintenance and repairs of HVAC systems.
- Coordinate, manage and perform projects in support of city departmental requirements for renovations, additions, moves and changes, etc.
- Ensure clean environments for employees to provide services to our residents and visitors.
- Work to prevent safety hazards associated with facility cleanup.
- Perform the removal of dust, debris and cleanup of other contaminants for a healthy environment.
- Seek to improve indoor air quality through the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products.
Fleet Acquisition and Disposition
- Develop vehicle and equipment specifications, as well as bidding schedules.
- Facilitate equipment commissioning and decommissioning.
- Incorporate appropriate levels of vehicle/equipment purchases toward alternative fuel powered units.
- Maintain guidelines/criteria or Vehicle Equipment Replacement Requests.
- Vehicle depreciation, age, mileage, mechanical condition, maintainability/reliability, maintenance cost and safety will impact the decision to replace or retain the vehicle/equipment.
Fleet Operations and Maintenance
- Ensure the City fleet and equipment is operational for daily use. Provide repair and maintenance service to units that include but are not limited to:
- Light- and Heavy-Duty Trucks
- Fire Apparatus
- Refuse Trucks
- Police Cruisers
- Street Sweepers
- Brush Equipment
- Maintain and operate car wash facility.
- Manage the fuel inventory of the city's unleaded, diesel and compressed natural gas, which includes ordering the fuel and adhering to state regulatory compliance at 17 fueling sites.
- Issue and deactivate fuel cards for use at City of Irving fueling sites.
- Manage the purchase and inventory levels of parts issued to city vehicles.
- Facilitate the removal of worn tires and used oil to recycling vendors.