The Irving Police Department has established an “Exchange Zone” in the front parking lot of the Criminal Justice Center located at 305 N. O’Connor Road. The exchange zone is provided as a location to conduct legal e-commerce-style transactions or to conduct child custodial exchanges. Any other lawful transactions or meetings are also permitted. The zone, marked by a sign and two distinct parking spaces, is under continuous video surveillance.
The exchange zone was created to provide a favorable meeting place to conduct face-to-face transactions; however, it is important to exercise good judgment when meeting with strangers. There are individuals who use various forums to perpetrate scams, sell stolen property or victimize others.
Regardless of whether the exchange zone is used, please consider the following safety tips:
- When possible, arrange to meet in a public and busy place. Consider meeting at a police station, government building or a busy fast food restaurant.
- Avoid going to someone’s home or having someone come to your own if at all possible.
- Beware of scams. If something seems too good to be true, it’s probably a scam;
- For sellers: Be alert to someone using counterfeit money or stolen and forged checks. Inspect any cash you are given.
- For buyers: Be aware of someone trying to sell you stolen, broken or fake items. Thoroughly inspect items, make sure it works and watch out for dummy items.
- Save listings and contact information should you need to report a problem.
- Always report problems to Craigslist and social media sites, as well as any criminal activity to the police.
- Avoid carrying too much cash.