Lifeguards and Employment
Looking for a job with flexible hours that could turn into a career?
Move on to a position that prepares its employees for their futures: Lifeguard at one of the City of Irving’s pools or aquatic centers.
Considering a career in the medical or emergency response sectors? Or perhaps interested in the fitness or recreation fields?
Need flexible hours or a job close to home? Consider what employment with the city as a lifeguard can offer, including:
- First Aid / CPR / AED certification
- Obtain water rescue skills
- Increased leadership opportunities
- Improve decision-making skills
- Development of public relations, customer service and conflict-resolution skills
- Verifiable work experience for resumes and college applications
The City of Irving Parks and Recreation Department hires Red Cross-certified lifeguards, ages 16 and older for part- and full-time summer and year-round employment at its aquatic facilities.
Lifeguards are in the business of safety and prevention, making them ideal candidates for medical or first responder college programs. In addition to enforcing all the rules and regulations of the pool, lifeguards are responsible for the maintenance and operation of the assigned facility. Irving lifeguards also get a lot of customer service experience, such as registration responsibilities - all great points to add to one's resume.
Red Cross training recertification is required every two years to remain eligible for employment with the Irving Parks and Recreation Department.
Find a Class
The following are available resources for lifeguarding classes:
- The City of Irving hosts lifeguard classes at the North Lake Natatorium, 5001 N. MacArthur Blvd. Visit the Aquatics calendar of events page or call (972) 756-0860 for a schedule of classes. Scholarships are available on a case-by-case basis to help defray the cost of classes. Click to view flyer.
- Visit the American Red Cross’ Lifeguarding page for information on classes.
- The Baylor Tom Landry Health and Wellness Center offers lifeguard classes and recertification through its Water Safety program.
Those interested in applying can visit City of Irving Employment Opportunities page to view open positions. Please note that all posted jobs close at 5 p.m. on the indicated expiration date. For more information, call (972) 721-7311 or (972) 721-2718.