Found a Lost Pet
What should I do if I found a pet?
If you can approach the pet safely:
- Check for an ID tag and contact the owner to reunite the pet with its family.
If the pet is not wearing an ID tag, take the animal to a veterinary clinic or bring it to the Irving Animal Care Campus to check for a microchip.
- If you can provide temporary care but are unable to find the owner, submit a Found Animal report and post notices in your area and on social media.
- If you are not able to provide temporary care, bring the pet to the Irving Animal Care Campus during business hours.
If the animal was found outside of the city limits of Irving, contact the animal services agency for the area in which the animal was found. Irving Animal Services will not accept stray animals found outside of the city limits of Irving.
If you are unable to safely approach or transport the animal:
- Call Irving Animal Services at (972) 721-2256 and provide the officer with a detailed description of the animal and the location.
- Don’t chase the animal, or pursue it if it moves away. This may cause the animal to leave the area, get hit by a car or even bite someone.
Don’t feed the animal. Animal Services Officers often use food and treats to encourage animals to approach. If the animal is elusive and a humane trap is set, the animal is more likely to enter if it is interested in the food inside the trap. Feeding the animals makes it much more difficult for our officers to capture them and get them to safety.Animal Services Officers are on duty seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Animal Services Officers are on call for emergencies only after hours.
- For emergencies, call 911.
How can I submit a "Found Pet" report?
- Visit the Found Pet report page Opens a New Window. . Opens a New Window.
- If you find the owner, please notify Animal Services to cancel the report.
Lost and Found Animal reports are sent to shelter staff who will post on the Lost and Found page. Reports are posted for 30 days. After 30 days, submit another report.
How can I view the "Lost Pets" reports submitted?
You will find Lost Pet reports and any pictures submitted on the Lost and Found page.
- If you feel that one of the animals listed might be the one you found, please contact Irving Animal Services for information on contacting the owner.
* Please be advised that the animals listed on the Reported Lost tab are submitted by residents looking for their lost pets and the animals listed on the Animals Found tab may be housed at the shelter or housed by an individual who posted a Found Animal Report.