- Departments I - W
- Books & More
- Book Clubs
- Adult Book Clubs
Adult Book Clubs
For book lovers can read and talk about what they are enjoying, Irving's libraries offer 11 book clubs for adults covering a wide range of tastes. Event dates and times are subject to change. Please see the Adult Program Calendar for the most-up-to-date information.
Anywhere eBook Club (Virtual)
With a selection of titles always available on Hoopla, readers can join the library's newest book club from anywhere! For Zoom credentials, email JAShaw@CityofIrving.org
Meetings take place at 7 p.m. on the following dates:
2023 Title Selections:
- April 11 - Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu
- June 13 - In My Dreams I Hold I Knife by Ashley Winstead
- August 8 - TBD
- October 10 - TBD
- December 12 - Mistletoe and Murder by Laura Stewart
Book Lover’s Happy Hour (South Irving Library)
An informal discussion group for readers who like to talk about books. Each session focuses on a general theme, rather than an individual book.
The group meets in-person at 6 p.m. once every other month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.
- May 22: First Time Ever Reading that Book: Ever been ahead of the curve on reading a book or series? Come share which ones would be worth experience for the first time again.
- July 31: It's a Mystery - Catch up on any favorite mystery series or discover a new sleuth.
- September 25: Waiting in the Wings - It's time to whittle down that "To Read" list. Finally read one of the books that's been put off for far too long and cross it off the list!
- November 27: What a Character! What makes eccentric characters so lovable? Come share a book or series featuring favorite oddball and quirky characters.
Girls Night Out Book Club (Valley Ranch Library)
This women’s only club reads and discusses books about family relationships, love, friendship, and self-discovery. Limited number of copies of the current month’s selection will be available for check out at the Valley Ranch Library information desk.
The group meets in-person at 7 p.m. on the first Monday of each month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.. To register, visit the Valley Ranch Library information desk or call (972) 721-4612 for more information.
2023 Girl's Night Out Titles
- April 10 - Where the Grass Is Green and the Girls Are Pretty by Lauren Weisberger
- May 1 - The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner
- June 5 - The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth
- July 10 - The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
- August 7 - Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- September 11 - American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
- October 2 - Molokai by Alan Brennert
- November 6 - One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
- December 4 - The Sundown Motel by Simone St. James
Heritage Book Club (Heritage Senior Center)
Heritage Book Club is an informal group of mature book lovers who read and discuss a wide variety of titles, from recent literary bestsellers to classic novels.
The group meets in-person at 7 p.m. the third Thursday of every month at the Heritage Senior Center library, 200 S. Jefferson Street. Readers must belong to the Heritage Senior Center in order to join. Call (972) 721-2496 for more information.
- April 20: Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu
- May 18: Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys
- June 15: The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune
I Love YA Book Club (South Irving Library)
I “Heart” YA is a book club for those who can’t get enough of Young Adult literature. Connect with fellow readers as we discuss a wide range of YA books. Adults and teens are welcome, and refreshments will be served.
The group meets at 7 p.m. the second Wednesday of each month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.
2023 I <3 YA Book Club Selections:
- April 12: Salaam, With Love by Sarah Sharaf Beg
- May 10: With and Without You by Emily Wibberley
- June 14: I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver
- July 12: Kingdom of the Wicked by Kerri Maniscalco
- August 9: They Wish They Were Us by Jessica Goodman
- September 13: Crave by Tracy Wolff
- October 11: Vampires Never Get Old by Zoraida Cordova
- November 8: Hotel Magnifique by Emily J. Taylor
- December 13: Go the Distance by Jen Calonita
Midweek Mysteries (South Irving Library)
Join in a lively discussion of the best that the mystery genre has to offer. Topics will range from contemporary works to the grand masters who started it all. Bring a brown bag lunch from home to enjoy.
The group meets in-person at noon on the first Wednesday of each month. Check this downloadable list of upcoming titles.
- April 5: Belinda Bauer - Exmoor Trilogy and other mysteries
- May 3: Anthony Horowitz - Magpie Murders; Hawthorne and Horowitz mysteries
- June 7: Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody series
- July 5: Spencer Quinn - Chet and Bernie mysteries
- August 2: Attica Locke - Highway 59 and Jay Porter mysteries
- September 6: Kelley Armstrong - Casey Duncan/City of the Lost series
- October 4: Sujata Massey - Perveen Mistry series; Rei Shimura mysteries
- November 1: Spencer Kope - Special Tracking Unit mysteries
- December 6: Sulari Gentill - Rowland Sinclair series
Novel Fiction Book Club (Valley Ranch Library)
Please join this group for an insightful discussion centered on books from a variety of fiction genres like; Historical, Literary, General, Science Fiction, etc. ... maybe even a little romance or suspense thrown in.
The group meets in-person at 10 a.m. on a select Saturday each month. Check our online calendar for upcoming titles. To register, visit the Valley Ranch Library information desk or call (972) 721-4612 for more information.
2023 Novel Fiction Titles
- April 15 - The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
- May 13 - The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christi Lefteri
- June 10 - Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
- July 22 - The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
- August 12 - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows & Mary Ann Shaffer
- September 16 - The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys
- October 14 - Songs in Ursa Major by Emma Brodie
- November 11 - The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- December 9 - The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
Tried & True Book Club (Valley Ranch Library)
This group is for readers who enjoy novels that have either stood the test of time, or the latest and best in nonfiction narratives. Every month participants of the Tried and True Book Club alternate between reading classical literature or recent nonfiction titles.
The group meets virtually at 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.. To register, visit cityofirving.org/3612 and click on the Zoom registration button.
2023 Tried & True Selections:
- April 13 - The Gilded Age by Mark Twain
- May 11 - The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore
- June 8 - Vanity Fair by William M. Thackeray
- July 13 - The Family Romanov by Candace Fleming
- August 10 - The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
- September 14 - The Library Book by Susan Orlean
- October 12 - TBD - HallowReads Selection
- November 9 - Origin: A Genetic History of the Americas by Jennifer Raff
- December TBD - The Greatest Gift by Phillip Van Doren Stern