Adult Book Clubs
For book lovers can read and talk about what they are enjoying, Irving's libraries offer 11 book clubs for adults covering a wide range of tastes. Event dates and times are subject to change. Please see the Adult Program Calendar for the most-up-to-date information.
Anywhere eBook Club (Virtual)
With a selection of titles always available on Hoopla, readers can join the library's newest book club from anywhere! For Zoom credentials, email JAShaw@CityofIrving.org
Meetings take place at 7 p.m. on the following dates:
- July 12 - The Mad Women's Ball by Victoria Mas
- August 9 - The Huntress by Kate Quinn
- September 13 - Overground Railroad by Candacy Taylor
- October 11 - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
- November 8 - News of the World by Paulette Jiles
- December 13 - Twelve Slays of Christmas by Jacqueline Frost
Book Lover’s Happy Hour (South Irving Library)
An informal discussion group for readers who like to talk about books. Each session focuses on a general theme, rather than an individual book.
The group meets in-person at 6 p.m. once every other month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.
- July 25 - Oceans of Possibilities
- Set sail for adventure on the high seas with swashbuckling tales of pirates, military battles, great ship disasters, ocean exploration and island escapes.
- September 26 - I'd Rather Be In Paris
- The City of Light continues to draw both authors and readers.
- November 28 - Family Ties
- The trials and tribulations of family life, revealed through novels and memoirs.
Girls Night Out Book Club (Valley Ranch Library)
This women’s only club reads and discusses books about family relationships, love, friendship, and self-discovery. Limited number of copies of the current month’s selection will be available for check out at the Valley Ranch Library information desk.
The group meets in-person at 7 p.m. on the first Monday of each month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.. To register, visit the Valley Ranch Library information desk or call (972) 721-4612 for more information.
- July 11 - Us by David Nicholls
- August 1 - Girls with Bright Futures by Tracy Dobmeier and Wendy Katzman
- September 12 - The Secret Scriptures by Sebastian Barry
- October 3 - Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- November 7 - The Silver Swan by Elena Delbanco
- December 5 - The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot by
Heritage Book Club (Heritage Senior Center)
Heritage Book Club is an informal group of mature book lovers who read and discuss a wide variety of titles, from recent literary bestsellers to classic novels.
The group meets in-person at 7 p.m. the third Thursday of every month at the Heritage Senior Center library, 200 S. Jefferson Street. Readers must belong to the Heritage Senior Center in order to join. Call (972) 721-2496 for more information.
- July 21 - The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
- August 18 - The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
- September 15 - The Overground Railroad by Candacy Taylor
- October 20 - TBD
- November 17 - The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- December 15 - Light From Other Stars by Erika Swyler
I Love YA Book Club (South Irving Library)
I “Heart” YA is a book club for those who can’t get enough of Young Adult literature. Connect with fellow readers as we discuss a wide range of YA books. Adults and teens are welcome, and refreshments will be served.
The group meets at 7 p.m. the second Wednesday of each month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.
- July 13 - The Loop by Ben Oliver
- August 10 - With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo
- September 14 - A Blade So Black by L.L McKinney
- October 12 - Ghost Wood Song by Erica Waters
- November 9 - Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko
- December 14 - As Old As Time by Liz Braswell
Midweek Mysteries (South Irving Library)
Join in a lively discussion of the best that the mystery genre has to offer. Topics will range from contemporary works to the grand masters who started it all. Bring a brown bag lunch from home to enjoy.
The group meets in-person at noon on the first Wednesday of each month. Check this downloadable list of upcoming titles.
- July 6 - Mysteries Through the Decades: 1910's
- August 3 - Mysteries Through the Decades: 1920's
- September 7 - Reavis Z Wortham: Red River mysteries and Sonny Hawke series
- October 5 - Peter May: China series and Lewis trilogy
- November 2 - Richard Osman: The Thursday Murder Club series
- December 7 - Allison Montclair: Sparks & Bainbridge series
Novel Fiction Book Club (Valley Ranch Library)
Tried & True Book Club (Valley Ranch Library)
This group is for readers who enjoy novels that have either stood the test of time, or the latest and best in nonfiction narratives. Every month participants of the Tried and True Book Club alternate between reading classical literature or recent nonfiction titles.
The group meets virtually at 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.. To register, visit cityofirving.org/3612 and click on the Zoom registration button.
- July 14 - Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville
- August 11 - Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- September 8 - The Story of My Experiments with Truth by Mohandas Gandhi
- October 13 - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- November 10 - A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
- December 8 - Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Unicorns in cyberSpace (West Irving Library)
For those who enjoy science fiction or fantasy, from space opera to high fantasy, steampunk to just plain weird, then join readers for book discussion with Unicorns in Space. Every month discuss a new topic or a specific title.
The group meets at 7 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of each month at the West Irving Library. Check the online calendar for upcoming titles.
- July 26 - High Fantasy or Sci-Fi
- August 23 - Young Adult or Middle Grade
- September 27 - Urban
- October 25 - Horror
- November 22 - Superheroes
- December 27 - Reader's Choice