Deferred Disposition

Applying for Disposition

Deferred disposition is one way to have a citation dismissed. In order to have a ticket dismissed, one must complete a probationary period in which no additional convictions are received and satisfy all requirements imposed in the deferral.

Those interested in disposing of a case through deferred disposition must request deferred disposition from the court either in person, by mail or via fax within 21 days from the date of offense. If the request is made by mail or fax, the court will mail or email a form for requesting deferred disposition.

Eligibility Requirements

The following are the standard eligibility requirements:

  • You must not have been cited with speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit.
  • You must not have had deferred disposition in any court within one (1) year preceding the date of offense on your current citation.
  • You will not be eligible for deferred disposition if you hold a commercial driver's license (CDL), or held a commercial driver's license when the offense was committed regardless of whether you were in a commercial vehicle or personal vehicle or car.
  • Deferred disposition can only be approved after a plea of guilty or no contest is entered with the court. This plea can be entered on the Deferred Disposition Affidavit (PDF) that will be provided to you by the court.
  • In addition, you must pay the fine amount and applicable fees in full after your request is approved.
  • If the citation was issued on, or after, Sept. 1, 2005 for a moving traffic violation, completion of a six-hour defensive driving course is required if under 25 years of age on the date of the offense.
  • You must not be convicted of any other violations of the law which occur during the deferment period.
  • If the above conditions are not met, a judgment of guilty will be entered, and you will have to pay the fine in full.

Requesting a Deferred Disposition Affidavit

The fax number for requesting a Deferred Disposition Affidavit is (972) 721-2383. Please note that if you request deferred disposition by fax, the court will not respond back to you by fax. Any correspondence or notices sent by the court will be by mail or email.

If you fail to comply with any of the requirements of the judge's order of deferred disposition, your case may be placed in warrant. If you think your case may be in warrant status, call the Warrant Division at (972) 721-2671 immediately or make a personal appearance at the court clerk window for an update on the status of your case.