Residential Building Permits
Building permits are required to erect, enlarge, alter, move, demolish or repair a structure in the City of Irving. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Adding / altering a garage or carport.
- Altering the driveway approach at the city street.
- Decks more than 30 inches in height.
- Fireplace installations.
- Flatwork / paving.
- Garage conversions.
- House remodel / addition.
- New wiring, plumbing, or Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) work.
- Pools, spas, hot tubs.
- Portable buildings / sheds greater than 6 feet in any dimension.
- Retaining walls more than 30 inches in height (from adjacent grade to top of wall).
- Water Heater - plumbing permit required.
Permits are not required for cosmetic work such as painting, carpeting and cabinetry, nor is it required for replacing fixtures or appliances, except water heaters, at existing connections.
What is needed for a permit? For most permits, a plan showing the proposed changes is required. The following do not need any plans: Demolitions, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water heater and re-roofing. For anything else will need a plan(s). For more information, see the residential brochure Opens a New Window. . Check out the interactive map on Planning department's home page.
Please call (972) 721-2371 or email the Inspections Department with any questions.