Planning and Zoning
A Vision for the Future
Adopted in July 2017, the Imagine Irving Comprehensive Plan guides the city as it transitions from a focus on new development to encouraging redevelopment and enhancing existing neighborhoods and commercial areas.
The goal is to ensure an economically sustainable future where the infrastructure, housing and service needs of future residents and property owners can be met without reliance upon outside funding sources.
Thank you for contacting Planning and Zoning, a division of the City of Irving Planning and Community Development Department. For Planning and Zoning questions, expect an answer within two business days. For immediate assistance, please call (972) 721-2424.
- To comment on recent experiences interacting with the Zoning department, please take our Zoning Customer Satisfaction Survey.
- To express your views and desires regarding the existing Zoning Regulations, and how to improve them, please take our Zoning Ordinance Survey.
- To learn about obtaining TABC permits, visit the Inspections Department and their TABC Permits page.
- To find obtain permits for a Covid-19 testing site, visit the Inspections Department and consult their Covid Testing Site guidelines.
- To find out the zoning of a property in Irving, visit the Interactive Web Map. Use the iMap Instructions (PDF) to assist with finding Parcel Zoning.
- To learn about the allowed uses for a particular zoning category, visit the City of Irving Unified Development Code. Zoning districts are described in Chapter 2.
- For written confirmation of allowable uses for a property, users can request a Zoning Verification Letter.
- For application cut-off schedules, zoning change applications, subdivision applications, fee schedules or related documents, visit the Applications and Forms page.
- Visit the Planning and Zoning Commission page for agendas and minutes of upcoming and past meetings.
- Interested in general demographic information about the City of Irving? Read the Citywide Snapshot.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Planning and Zoning Division oversees the development and implementation of site plans pertaining to various neighborhoods across Irving, as well as the creation of the city’s Comprehensive Plan, enacted every few years. As a division of the Planning and Community Development Department, Planning and Zoning works with property owners and stakeholders to execute the following activities:
- Development of properties in Irving through administration of zoning ordinances and platting (the division or combination of property for sale or construction).
- Creation of plans for specific neighborhoods, such as Heritage Crossing (historic downtown Irving) and the Las Colinas Urban Center.
- Administration of beautification programs for businesses along major corridors, such as Irving Boulevard, and homes in the Hospital District and Austin Heights.
- Gathering of statistical information and demographics pertaining to Irving such as population, housing, and employment.