Commercial Permit Checklist (new buildings and additions)
New Buildings and Additions
|Documents / Plans 5, 6||Sets of Plans / Documents Required|
|Civil plans (drainage, utility, grading, dimensional control)||2|
|Architectural plans 1, 2||2|
|Structural plans 3||2|
|Engineered foundation plan||3|
|M.E.P. (HVAC, electrical, plumbing) 3||2|
|Landscape plan (include calculations)||2|
|Seating Plan (Restaurant, church, assembly areas, etc.)||2|
|Listing numbers from approved testing lab for all rated assemblies and penetration fire stops 4||2|
|Acoustical consultant certification 7||2|
|Energy calculations that meet the 2015 IECC (see ComCheck link)||2|
|Asbestos survey (only required for additions)||1|
|Document showing plans were submitted to Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations (TDLR) for a Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS) review||1|
|Restaurant, daycare, school, nursing home, food sales/prep/processing||See footnote #8|
|PDF of all plans and specifications (CD, thumb drive, drop box)||1|
|Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for Engineering / CIP Department||1|
|Statement of Special Inspections (PDF)(if required) 9||1|
|Specification book (can be just on a cd rather than a hard copy)||1|
- Must include door and window schedule, partition details, finish schedule, details of raised floors or platforms, stairs, ramps, etc. Plans must be to scale.
- Texas Architect’s seal is required for new buildings in excess of 20,000 square feet or over one story in height.
- Texas Engineer’s seal is required for new buildings exceeding 5,000 square feet or one story in height; spans in excess of 24 feet.; and buildings of other than conventional wood framing.
- Please consolidate this information including assembly drawing details on a separate sheet. (walls, floor / ceiling, roof / ceiling, wall and floor penetrations for pipes and conduit, structural frame, etc.)
- Plans identified as “Not For Construction” or “For Permit Only” will not be approved with that (or similar) notation.
- A separate permit is required for signs, fire sprinkler, fire alarm, irrigation system, construction trailers, drive approaches, pools, special egress control devices, on-site utilities, fire line, fences, retaining walls, etc.
- Acoustical consultant certification for all residential, schools, hospitals, and nursing homes within the 65-70 or over 70 DNL airport noise zones.
- Separate submittal for health plan review is required. Submit one set of kitchen plans and equipment specification sheets along with a health review application and the fee for the review.
- Special Inspections are required on some projects. Click on the following links for the forms: Special Inspection Program (PDF), Statement (PDF), Report (PDF), and Final Report (PDF).
Other Concerned Departments
|Department||Contact Person||Phone Number|
(Multi-Family, Hotel Licenses)
|Lukas Kratochvil||(972) 721-4929|
|Public Works / Engineering||Walter Thomas||(972) 721-2611|
|Public Works / Traffic||Cody Owens||(972) 721-2646|
|Fire||James Malone||(972) 721-2651|
|Water and Sewer Tap Fees||Water Utilities - Ashley Waits||(972) 721-2789|
|Solid Waste Services||Tyler Hurd||(972) 721-2203|
|Planning||Ken Bloom, Sheba Ward, Stacy Day, Gina Costanza-Grant||(972) 721-2424|
|Inspections Department - Building Inspections Plan Review||Jason Russell, Becky Capuchino, Maria Sanchez, Dale Demarest||(972) 721-2371|