Commercial Permit Checklist (new buildings and additions)
New Buildings and Additions
|Documents / Plans 5, 6|
|Civil plans (drainage, utility, grading, dimensional control)|
|Architectural plans 1, 2|
|Structural plans 3|
|Engineered foundation plan|
|M.E.P. (HVAC, electrical, plumbing) 3|
|Landscape plan (include calculations)|
|Seating Plan (Restaurant, church, assembly areas, etc.)|
|Listing numbers from approved testing lab for all rated assemblies and penetration fire stops 4|
|Acoustical consultant certification 7|
|Energy calculations that meet the 2021 IECC (see ComCheck link)|
|Asbestos survey (only required for additions)|
|Document showing plans were submitted to Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations (TDLR) for a Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS) review|
|Restaurant, daycare, school, nursing home, food sales/prep/processing 8|
|PDF of all plans and specifications|
|Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for the CIP Department|
|Statement of Special Inspections (PDF)(if required) 9|
- Must include door and window schedule, partition details, finish schedule, details of raised floors or platforms, stairs, ramps, etc. Plans must be to scale.
- Texas Architect’s seal is required for new buildings in excess of 20,000 square feet or over one story in height.
- Texas Engineer’s seal is required for new buildings exceeding 5,000 square feet or one story in height; spans in excess of 24 feet.; and buildings of other than conventional wood framing.
- Please consolidate this information including assembly drawing details on a separate sheet. (walls, floor / ceiling, roof / ceiling, wall and floor penetrations for pipes and conduit, structural frame, etc.)
- Plans identified as “Not For Construction” or “For Permit Only” will not be approved with that (or similar) notation.
- A separate permit is required for signs, fire sprinkler, fire alarm, irrigation system, construction trailers, drive approaches, pools, special egress control devices, on-site utilities, fire line, fences, retaining walls, etc.
- Acoustical consultant certification for all residential, schools, hospitals, and nursing homes within the 65-70 or over 70 DNL airport noise zones.
- Separate submittal for health plan review is required. Submit one set of kitchen plans and equipment specification sheets along with a health review application and the fee for the review.
- Special Inspections are required on some projects. Click on the following links for the forms: Special Inspection Program (PDF), Statement (PDF), Report (PDF), and Final Report (PDF).
Other Concerned Departments
|Department||Contact Person||Phone Number|
(Multi-Family, Hotel Licenses)
|Lukas Kratochvil||(972) 721-4829|
|Traffic & Transportation||Cody Owens/ James White||(972) 721-2646|
|Fire Marshal||Haley Harsha/ Steve Gibbs/ Derek Austin||(972) 721-2651|
|Water and Sewer Tap Fees||Water Utilities - Andrew Storer/ Ashley Waits||(972) 721-2281|
|Solid Waste Services||(972) 721-8059|
|Planning||Ken Bloom, Gina Costanza-Grant, Sabas Martinez||(972) 721-2424|
|Inspections Department - Building Inspections Plan Review||Jason Russell, Becky Capuchino, Maria Sanchez, Darnell Tucker||(972) 721-2371|