Commercial Permit Checklist (new buildings and additions)
New Buildings and Additions
|Documents / Plans 5, 6||Sets of Plans / Documents Required|
|Civil plans (drainage, utility, grading, dimensional control). Plans must be on 24" X 36" paper||5|
|Architectural plans 1, 2||3|
|Structural plans 3||3|
|Engineered foundation plan||3|
|M.E.P. (HVAC, electrical, plumbing) 3||3|
|Landscape plan (include calculations)||3|
|Seating Plan (Restaurant, church, assembly areas, etc.)||3|
|Listing numbers from approved testing lab for all rated assemblies and penetration fire stops.4||3|
|Acoustical consultant certification 7||3|
|Energy calculations that meet the 2015 IECC (see ComCheck link)||2|
|Asbestos survey (only required for additions)||1|
|Document showing plans were submitted to Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations (TDLR) for a Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS) review||1|
|Restaurant, daycare, school, nursing home, food sales/prep/processing||See footnote #8|
|PDF of approved plans (CD or email under 10 MB)||1|
|Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for Engineering / CIP Department||1|
|Statement of Special Inspections (PDF)(if required) 9||1|
|Specification book (can be just on a cd rather than a hard copy)||1|
- Must include door and window schedule, partition details, finish schedule, details of raised floors or platforms, stairs, ramps, etc. Plans must be to scale.
- Texas Architect’s seal is required for new buildings in excess of 20,000 square feet or over one story in height.
- Texas Engineer’s seal is required for new buildings exceeding 5,000 square feet or one story in height; spans in excess of 24 feet.; and buildings of other than conventional wood framing.
- Please consolidate this information including assembly drawing details on a separate sheet. (walls, floor / ceiling, roof / ceiling, wall and floor penetrations for pipes and conduit, structural frame, etc.)
- Plans identified as “Not For Construction” or “For Permit Only” will not be approved with that (or similar) notation.
- A separate permit is required for signs, fire sprinkler, fire alarm, irrigation system, construction trailers, drive approaches, pools, special egress control devices, on-site utilities, fire line, fences, retaining walls, etc.
- Acoustical consultant certification for all residential, schools, hospitals, and nursing homes within the 65-70 or over 70 DNL airport noise zones.
- Separate submittal for health plan review is required. Submit one set of kitchen plans along with a health review application and the fee for the review.
- Special Inspections are required on some projects. Click on the following links for the forms: Special Inspection Program (PDF), Statement (PDF), Report (PDF), and Final Report (PDF).
Other Concerned Departments
|Department||Contact Person||Phone Number|
(Multi-Family, Hotel Licenses)
|Mike Edwards (972) 721-4896 or Darrell Hammond (972) 721-3628||(972) 721-4929|
|Public Works / Engineering||Robert Mardis||(972) 721-2611|
|Public Works / Traffic||Mike Jones or Nathan Benditz||(972) 721-2646|
|Fire||Derek Austin, James Malone, Jr., Haley Harsha||(972) 721-2651|
|Water and Sewer Tap Fees||Water Department||(972) 721-2411|
|Solid Waste Services||Roger Barron||(972) 721-2232|
|Planning||Ken Bloom, Sheba Ward, Stacy Day||(972) 721-2424|
|Inspections Department - Building Inspections Plan Review||Becky Capuchino, Maria Sanchez, Jason Russell, Dale Demarest||(972) 721-2371|