Youth 360° Civic Academy
Ever ask yourself why a fire truck comes to an EMS call, who decides when a sidewalk needs repair, or why the Irving City Council has nine members?
The Irving Youth 360° Civic Academy was developed to answer these and other questions on how the City of Irving functions. It is designed to give participants a behind-the-scenes look at daily operations and encourage civic engagement. The academy is open to any high school students who live in Irving. Apply now
Session topics will include:
- Irving's history
- Government structure, elections and city boards and commissions
- Public safety
- Budget and finance
- Solid waste services
- Water utilities
- Community planning
- Building inspections and code enforcement
- Economic development and tourism
- Parks, libraries and other leisure services
- Transportation and environmental initiatives
- Arts and cultural activities
Program size is set at no more than 14 participants. The focus is to create a group that is as diverse and dynamic as Irving. There is no cost to participate.
The application period for the Irving Youth 360° Civic Academy is closed. Participants will be notified by Wednesday, Aug. 28 and will receive the program itinerary, class schedule and expectations. If necessary, there will be a wait-list created for future iterations of Irving Youth 360° Civic Academy.
Classes will begin in early September and run for 11 weeks. Each week participants will meet at a predetermined location in the city for three hours. The classes will be set primarily on Wednesdays after regular school hours with some weekends.
Upon completion of Irving Youth 360° Civic Academy, participants take part in a special recognition ceremony with city leadership.
After attending the Irving Youth 360° Academy, participants will have tools and knowledge that can help them in many situations, including:
- Volunteer opportunities
- Applying to serve on a city board
- Speaking before the City Council on an issue
- Sharing knowledge to assist neighbors and friends on how to access city services