Library Facilities and Services
The South Irving, West Irving, and Valley Ranch Libraries are open to the public for browsing and checking out items, borrowing a public PC, or using the library's fax/scanning and wireless printing services. No reservation will be required to visit the library, although buildings will be periodically closed throughout the day for staff to clean and disinfect common areas. IPL Express Curbside and Drive-Up Window services remain available until further notice to pick up holds and wireless printing services. Some account services, such as payments and replacement cards, will require entering the building.
All Irving facilities will follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines regarding COVID-19 health recommendations.
To keep everyone safe, each library requests visitors observe the following guidelines:
- Everyone wear a mask covering nose and mouth at all times in the building.
- Keep at least 6 feet distance from other guests (except family members)
- Wash hands regularly, or use available hand sanitizer
- Use the library's self-service kiosks when checking out items
- If you're feeling sick or coughing, please stay home
Please be advised that facility operations are subject to change.
IRving public library locations
- South Irving Library, 601 Schulze Drive
- Valley Ranch Library, 401 Cimarron Trail
- West Irving Library, 4444 W. Rochelle Road
Hours of Operation
- 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. | Monday through Thursday
- 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. | Friday and Saturday
The East Irving Learning Center will remain closed until further notice.
All locations will allow a maximum number of 50 occupants at any time and will close periodically for 15-30 minutes to clean and sanitize high-touch surfaces. Visitors are also encouraged to use Curbside or Drive-Up Window services, which can be accessed at any time. Masks are optional when using the drive-thru or curbside services.
The following library services are unavailable at this time:
- Study rooms, meeting rooms, and quiet or magazine rooms
- Activity areas including the MIY Zone and Discover Zone
- Tables for working or studying
Guests may visit the South Irving, West Irving, and Valley Ranch Libraries for grab and go check outs, and brief browsing of the collection. There will be a limit of up to 50 people in the building at any time. It is first-come, first-served. Brief closures for cleaning will take place throughout the day.
(Contact Free) Drive-Thru, Curbside Services
Visitors may use contact-free library services at any time of day during business hours. Library cardholders may reserve materials through the library’s catalog, chat, over the phone or through the Staff Recommendations page and pick them up through the library’s drive-thru and curbside services.
- South Irving Library, 601 Schulze Drive, (972) 721-2606
- Valley Ranch Library, 401 Cimarron Trail, (972) 721-4669
- West Irving Library, 4444 W. Rochelle Road, (972) 721-2691
How does Curbside work?
- Place your holds using the library’s catalog, library chat or call (972) 721-2691.
- Please wait for email confirmation that holds are ready for pick-up or wait the time period requested by staff for pulling the material.
- Visit the West Irving Library and park near the Curbside tent. Call (972) 721-2692 to speak with a staff member to bring your holds out to the tent for you to pick up.
- 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday-Thursday
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday-Saturday
Patrons may place holds through the library’s catalog and they will be notified through their chosen method when materials are available for pickup. Patrons may also make requests by chat, phone or the Staff Recommendations page. Please allow at least 2 hours to process requests over the phone. Or wait until a notification is received from the library. Not sure what the status of the hold is? Check the Holds Key for clarification.
Patrons may return materials through the library book returns, with the except of the East Irving Learning Center. Please allow at least 24-hours for processing.
In addition to limited in-person services, and drive-thru and curbside pickup, Irving Public Library offers virtual programming and online chat services. From adult learning and job seeker assistance, to eBooks, movies, music, comics and magazines, the library works keeps residents informed and entertained.
- Stream digital entertainment: Hundreds of free eBooks, music, movies and more.
- Your first library card is free: Irving residents can sign up and renew online.
- Bring the Library Home with IPL Programming: Visit Facebook, Instagram and Twitter social media daily for online Storytime, crafting videos, book recommendations, zoom book clubs and more!
- Take an online class: Try Lynda, Creativebug, Mango and Learning Express. Or learn how to use the library’s digital resources.
Visit the Virtual Programming page for more options to connect.
Due to safety concerns, guests must leave the library while staff clean and disinfect common areas. Closures for cleaning take place between 11:30 am to 12 pm, 1:30 to 2 pm, and 3:30 to 4 pm.
We recommend you do not make a reservation that overlaps with these closure periods. Thank you.
For convenience, guests can also book ahead to use a public PC using our online reservation service: https://egov.ci.irving.tx.us/pcres/reserve.pl
Due to the social distancing requirements, a limited number of public PCs will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- South – 8 adult or teen computers, and 2 children computers
- Valley Ranch – 4 adult computers, 2 teen and 2 children computers
- West – 8 adult computers, 2 teen and 2 children computers
Each public computer in use will have a clean, disposable cover for the keyboard and mouse, which will be replaced after each use. Staff will also disinfect commonly touched equipment in the area (printer, coin machine, fax/scanner) between customers, a minimum of once an hour.