The Irving 360° Civic Academy was designed to give participants a behind-the-scenes look at daily operations and encourage civic engagement. The academy is open to anyone 18 or older who lives or works in Irving. To learn more about academy opportunities for high school students, visit the Youth 360 Civic Academy page.
Session topics include:
- Irving’s history
- Government structure, elections, and city boards and commissions
- Public safety
- Budget and finance
- Solid waste services
- Water utilities
- Community planning
- Building inspections and code enforcement
- Economic development and tourism
- Parks, libraries, and other leisure services
- Transportation and environmental initiatives
- Arts and cultural activities
Applications for the Fall 2022 cohort are now closed.
Classes run for 11 weeks. Each week participants meet at a predetermined location in the city for approximately three hours. The classes are set primarily on Tuesdays after regular work hours with some weekends.
After attending the Irving 360° Academy, participants have tools and knowledge that can help them in many situations, including: