Lifeguard Training and Certification
Individuals age 15 and older are welcome to register for lifeguard classes. An in-person pretest must be completed no later than the deadline of a lifeguard course's registration.
Pretest consists of:
- Swim 300 yards continuously.
- Tread water for two minutes using only your legs.
- Successfully complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards.
- Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on one's back to the starting point.
- Exit the water without using steps or a ladder.
Pretests are scheduled regularly. Visit the Aquatics calendar or contact Aquatics staff for dates and times:
As a result of the COVID-19 emergency, Irving Parks and Recreation's Aquatics is offering lifeguard training and certification classes that are a hybrid of online learning blended with in-person skills development. Scholarships are available on a case-by-case basis to help defray the cost of classes.
First-time Lifeguard Course Requirements
- Participants must successfully complete an in-person pretest before the registration deadline for any session.
- Participants must register for a course session by the deadline.
- Participants must complete the online portion of the class before the first day of in-person class. Students not completing the online work on time will be dropped from the class.
- Upon completion of the online class, the student must print and bring the certificate of completion to the first day of in-person class.
Other Class providers
- Visit the American Red Cross’ Lifeguarding page for information on classes.
- The Baylor Tom Landry Health and Wellness Center offers lifeguard classes and recertification through its Water Safety program.
Red Cross training recertification is required every two years to remain eligible for employment with the Irving Parks and Recreation Department.
Thu Nov. 25 - Fri Nov. 26
Thu Dec. 23 - Fri Dec. 24
Fri Dec. 31