Become an Irving Animal Shelter Volunteer
Do you want to make a difference in animals' lives? Do you need a regular furry-friend fix? Become a volunteer at Irving Animal Services (IAS).
Irving Animal Services depends on volunteers to help us provide loving care and give animals a second chance at love and happiness. With a variety of volunteer positions available, there is sure to be something that suits your interests, talents and schedule. Email the IAS Volunteer Coordinator for more information.
Visit the IAS Volunteer Program portal and create an account. Fill out the profile information and submit your application. Irving Animal Services will evaluate the application, and those accepted into the program will be contacted for to schedule an orientation session.
Orientation includes a classroom presentation, a shelter tour, and training for cat and dog handling. Orientation must be completed before any volunteer assignments will be made. Volunteers must wear closed-toed shoes when at the shelter, and long pants are strongly encouraged.
Email the IAS Volunteer Coordinator for more information.
Here are some opportunities:
- Adoption Host: Assists the public at the shelter and offsite locations with questions, and helps facilitate introductions between potential adopters and animals.
- Adoption Counselor: Conducts an interview to determine a good fit for family and animal. Processes the adoption in the IAS record keeping system (requires additional training).
- Cat Adoptions, Cat Colony and Stray Hold Cats: Assists staff with daily routines, such as cleaning kennels, prepping meet and greet rooms, and making enrichment items. Volunteers also work to socialize cats by reading with them, petting them or playing with toys.
- Small Dog, Puppies, and Large Dog Care: Assists staff with daily routines, such as cleaning kennels, prepping meet and greet rooms, and making enrichment items. Volunteers also work to socialize dogs by reading with them, petting them or playing with toys. Occasionally will perform grooming/bath services.
- Dog Walking: Walk dogs around the Irving Animal Care Campus in designated areas for play and potty breaks.
- Enrichment Team: Helps provide enrichment based on a day's needs to all of the animals. This is very important for the health and well-being of the animals.
- Photographer, Photographer Assistant: Photographs animals in the facility for adoption promotion and department record keeping. Assistants bring animals from the kennels to the photographer.
Volunteer candidates must be at least 18 years old. There is no cost to volunteer, and no minimum hours required. Interested persons must submit an application to the Volunteer Program.
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday-Friday
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday-Monday
Court assigned community service
Individuals who need to complete court assigned community service hours must make arrangements through the court. For Irving Municipal Court information call (972) 721-3582.