- Departments I - W
- Residential Guidelines
Visit our permit portal to apply for a permit: MGO Permit Portal
The City of Irving Inspections Department is available to answer questions regarding your next construction project.
- What is a building permit?
- What good does a permit do?
- When do I need a permit?
- What projects typically require a building and/or zoning permit?
- When is a permit not required?
- What does a permit cost?
- How does the city ensure building permits are procured when required?
- How do I know who has an approved building permit and who doesn’t?
- Whose responsibility is it to see that the building code is followed?
- How long does it take to get a building permit?
- When do I need to start my construction project?
- What is the difference between a “setback” and a “utility easement”?
- What are the City’s rules concerning prefabricated metal sheds and carports?
- What should I look for in a contractor?
- Who must be licensed?
- Should I request the permit for the contractor?
- I am having a problem with my house. I want the city to inspect it and tell me what is wrong.
- I am planning on digging. What do I need to do?