Irving Public Library is pleased to announce a new service to cardholders beginning in August 2021. Physical materials with no holds will now be automatically renewed when they become due on a customer’s account. The added convenience of automatic renewals will make requesting extensions a thing of the past and allow everyone more time to enjoy all that the library has to offer.
Although the library does not charge for overdue items, it is still a concern of residents to get their books returned on time, which is greatly appreciated by staff and patrons alike. The automatic extension will come as a huge relief for busy library users and families with several accounts to manage. Each extension is for three weeks, and maxes out at three renewals per item. Customers will be notified by email three days prior to the original due date.
How do automatic renewals work?
Three days before an item is due, the item will be automatically renewed for three weeks if:
- The item is eligible for automatic renewals
- There are remaining loan periods available for the item.
An item is not eligible for automatic renewal if:
- The item is on hold for another patron
- The item has reached its renewal limit (max of 3 renewals for most physical materials)
- Your library account has expired
- Your account is blocked due to overdue items and/or bills owed
- The item is a digital item, such as an eBook from the Overdrive or Hoopla collections
- The item is an InterLibrary Loan
- The item is part of a special collection, such as VOX books
What is the renewal limit?
Most eligible items will be automatically renewed up to three times.
- Book Gab-to-Go and Children's Book Club Kits allow 1 renewal
Do I have to sign up for automatic renewals?
No. This is an automatic service through Irving Public Library and requires no sign up on your part.
Will I get a notice that items have been renewed?
Yes, if you have opted in to receive email notifications, you will receive a courtesy renewal notice via email three days before the item’s due date. The notice will provide the new due dates for each item and the number of renewals used. You will also be notified of any items that weren’t renewed and the reason(s) they were not eligible for auto renewal. To ensure you receive these notices, please check that your contact information is current in your account. Residents who do not already have their email on file with the library may visit a library location, call, or use online services to update notification methods.
Can I still manually renew materials whenever I want?
The option to manually request a renewal is still available. Residents may also return their items as soon as you are finished with them, regardless of due date.