When an item's due date approaches, the library's software system will automatically renew any eligible items checked out to a borrower. Each extension is for three weeks, and most items can be renewed up to three times. The customer will be notified of the new due date, or if the item is not eligible for renewal, the original due date.
How do automatic renewals work?
Three days before an item is due, the item will be automatically renewed for an additional 24 days (the allotted three weeks plus the three days to the original due date) if:
- There are any renewal periods left for the item
- The item is eligible for automatic renewals (some collections are not eligible for renewal)
An item is not eligible for automatic renewal if:
- The item is on hold for another patron
- The item has reached its renewal limit (maximum of three renewals for most physical materials)
- The borrower’s library account has expired or is soon to expire (within three weeks)
- The borrower’s account is blocked due to overdue items and/or bills owed
- The item is a digital item, such as an eBook from the Overdrive or Hoopla collections
- The item is an Interlibrary Loan
- The item is part of a special collection, such as VOX books, Little STEAMers, or wi-fi hotspots
DO BORROWERS HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR AUTOMATIC RENEWALS?
No. This is an automatic service and requires no sign-up on a borrower’s part.
WILL BORROWERS GET A NOTICE THAT ITEMS HAVE BEEN RENEWED?
Yes. Borrowers who have opted to receive email notifications will receive a courtesy renewal notice via email three days before the item’s due date. The notice will provide the new due dates for each item and the number of renewals used. Borrowers will also be notified of any items that weren’t renewed and the reason(s) they were not eligible for auto renewal. To ensure they receive these notices, borrowers are encouraged to check that their contact information is current on their account. Residents who do not already have their email on file with the library may visit a library location or use online services to update notification methods.
CAN BORROWERS STILL MANUALLY RENEW MATERIALS WHENEVER THEY WANT?
The option to manually request a renewal is still available. Borrowers may also return their items as soon as they are finished with them, regardless of due date.
CAN BORROWERS OPT OUT OF AUTOMATIC RENEWALS?
No. Library staff understand that some customers prefer to manage their renewals independently, and the library would allow users to opt out of this feature if that were possible. Unfortunately, automatic renewals can only be turned on for all borrowers or none.