Crimes Against Children Unit

The Irving Police Department created the Crimes Against Children (CAC) Unit to thoroughly investigate all reported offenses involving physical and sexual abuse of children 16 years of age and younger. The duty to defend and protect children from those who would harm them is a challenging responsibility that requires a collaborative effort. The Crimes Against Children Unit collaborates with the Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center, Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, Children’s Hospitals, and the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office to successfully investigate and prosecute these cases.

After making a police report, the case will be assigned to a CAC investigator to complete the follow-up investigation.

To find out the investigator assigned to your case, call 972-721-6560.

Frequently Asked Questions

I have a suspicion and/or have been told by my child that they have been abused.   Who do I report this to?  How do I make a report?

You can contact the Irving Police Department at 972-273-1010 to make an initial police report.  The report will then be reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate investigative unit.  

I was sexually abused when I was a child.  Now that I am an adult, can I still make a police report? 

The Irving Police Department encourages everyone that has been a victim of sexual abuse to report it.  You can contact the Irving Police Department at 972-273-1010 to make a report.  


If the police interview my child, can I be in the room?

The Irving Police Department utilizes specialized interviewers to talk to children. These interviewers do not work for the police department and are specifically trained in child development and how to effectively communicate with children.  


Will the police take my child away if there is an allegation of abuse?

The role of the Irving Police Department is to investigate allegations of abuse and determine how to proceed in the criminal justice process. The Irving Police Department does not make any decisions about where a child should be placed.


How long will the investigation take?

Every case is unique and it is difficult to predict how long each investigation will take. It is our priority to fully investigate and properly handle your case. Individuals are always encouraged to reach out to their investigator if they have questions or concerns.


I have heard about the Crime Victim’s Compensation program, but I do not know if I am eligible.  How can I find out if the program can help me?

We encourage you to reach out to the Victim Services Unit for assistance with Crime Victims’ Compensation. You can also visit the Texas Attorney General's website to find out more information and apply for the program.

The Victim Services Unit can provide you will valuable resources like the Crime Victim’s Compensation program, legal aid referrals, daycare assistance, relocation assistance, and in some situations financial reimbursement to cover for loss of wages. 

The Victim Services Unit can assist you in finding out the status of your case and explaining the process to you. Please feel free to call between regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.