Tech Help Services
The library’s Tech Help service can help patrons learn basic technology skills such as:
- Use a mouse and keyboard
- Navigate the internet
- Create an email account
- Create a social media account
- Download apps to a tablet or smartphone
- Navigate a tablet or smartphone
- Other device basics
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Get started with eBooks and other digital downloads from the library (OverDrive/Libby, Hoopla, and Kanopy)
- Use library databases and other online library learning resources (LinkedIn Learning, Mango Languages, Ancestry.com, JobView, etc.)
Tech Help is an appointment-based service. To request an appointment, please fill out the Tech Help appointment form. Patrons who are unable to fill out the form themselves or who prefer to speak to a staff person are welcome to contact the information desk at any library location and staff can request an appointment on their behalf.
These appointments are educational in nature. Library staff are available in this one-on-one setting to help users understand technology in a customizable format. The goal of Tech Help is to empower users in the world of technology. Staff are available to teach patrons how to do something; not do it for them.
Staff are not able to assist with the following:
- Filling out forms or complete tasks on a patron’s behalf
- Repairing malfunctioning or infected devices or software programs
- Unlocking an account for which a user has forgotten their access information
- Providing medical, financial, or legal advice
- Provide advanced technology assistance on topics such as programming/coding, specialized software programs, or specialty devices
Because appointments are subject to availability, Tech Help is not a solution for patrons who have a time-sensitive need.
Staff will do their best to respond to Tech Help appointment requests within two business days and will schedule a one-hour appointment. In order to allow staff enough time to serve as many people as possible, patrons may make two appointments per month.