Twice-Per-Week Trash Pick Up Begins Dec. 4
Trash collection will go back to twice-per-week pickup, and recycling, brush and bulky items will continue to be collected once-per-week, starting on Dec. 4.
At the Oct. 12 meeting, City Council approved several amendments to Chapter 33 – Refuse, Garbage and Weeds, which is the ordinance governing solid waste collection guidelines in Irving. Those changes are outlined in the following guidelines and help standardize solid waste collection practices in Irving.
Collection Guidelines | Download the PDF (English/Spanish)
Time & Place
- Place waste at curb by 7 a.m. on collection day and/or after 6 p.m. the night before
- Place waste in area free of obstructions (overhead lines, mailboxes, parked vehicles, etc.)
- Separate waste piles by 2-3 feet of unobstructed space
- Store waste exceeding the weekly limit away from public view until next collection day
- Place waste at address listed on residential utility account
SIZE & WEIGHT
- Bags cannot weigh more than 50 pounds
- Use 13- to 30-gallon size bags
- Bags must be tied/closed
- Roll-off container rental available for large amounts of brush, bulky and construction and demolition items
- Eight trash bag limit per collection day
- Unlimited volume of recycling bags
- Use translucent blue recycling bags. (Available for purchase at City Hall and Irving Recreation Centers)
- Place inside trash bag or blue recycling bag
- Flatten and place under blue bag for recycling
- Large boxes (appliances, furniture, etc.) do not have to be flattened but must be empty
- Unlimited bagged leaves and grass clippings
- Trim brush to 4 feet in length and a max weight 50 pounds
- Stumps/logs no larger than 2 feet in diameter
- Limit four per week
- Includes easily movable household items, such as a sofa, chair, table, mattress, etc.
- Toilets are collected provided they are not part of a larger pile of construction and demolition debris
ITEMS NOT COLLECTED
- Waste produced by a contractor, landscaper, tree trimmer, etc.
- Must be removed by the service provider
- Up to five passenger tires per calendar year can be brought to the landfill for free but will not be collected at the curb
- Construction & Demolition Debris
- Roll-off containers are available for rental, or construction and demolition items can be brought to the landfill but will not be collected at the curb
- Examples include tub, sink, countertop, flooring, cabinetry, doors, windows, light fixtures, sheetrock, insulation, roofing, fencing, concrete, asphalt, rock, dirt, bricks, sand, A/C systems, pool materials/parts and other construction materials
HUNTER FERRELL LANDFILL
110 E. Hunter Ferrell Road
Monday–Saturday | 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
FREE DAILY DROP OFF
Residents must provide identification (i.e. drivers license) and an Irving utility bill with a matching address.
- Household trash less than 150 pounds
- Unlimited recycling
- Unlimited clean brush
- Unlimited loose leaves and grass clippings
- Unlimited clean dirt, sand, bricks, gravel, etc.
CONSTRUCTION & DEMOLITION DEBRIS
Drop off will be charged the standard Landfill Fee
- Tipping fee is $48 per ton and $12 for every 500 pounds (quarter-ton)
Solid waste will not be collected on city holidays.
If a trash collection day falls on a city holiday, then trash will only be collected once that week.
If the holiday is a recycling, brush or bulky item collection day, those items will be collected the following week.