Those interested in becoming a firefighter or fire prevention specialist for the City of Irving must register to take an entrance examination. The Fire Department entrance exam is usually given once a year. A Firefighter Entrance Examination was administered on January 7, 2023.
- Arrive earlier than the scheduled time
- Bring government-issued photo identification, DD-214 if applicable
When completing your answer sheet:
- Fill in the bubble completely
- If you erase an answer, be sure to erase it completely
- Use a #2 pencil
- When marking an answer on the answer sheet, be sure it corresponds with the question you are working on
- Darken only one bubble for each question, you will not receive credit for those with multiple responses.
- An applicant is ranked based on their written examination score.
- The list remains in effect for one year, after the list expires you must register again for the next entrance exam.
- Five points are added to military personnel test scores who have received an honorable discharge(DD-214).
- CLICK HERE to view the eligibility list created from the September 2, 2023 test.
Click Here to view our written test sample questions and answers.
CONTACT RECRUITMENT OFFICE
- Reading Comprehension
- Mathematical Ability
- Mechanical Reasoning
- Teamwork, Public Relations and Community Living
This section tests the candidate’s reading readiness and written comprehension. Fire personnel must be able to readily understand building signage, written instructions, or warnings.
This section tests the candidate’s basic understanding of math functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and percentages. Fire personnel must be able to properly calculate the amount of hose length or water tank capacity.
Questions in this section will test the applicant’s understanding of equipment like levers, pulleys, and water pumps. Applicants must understand basic physics principles (resistance, force, energy, and power) and how they work in conjunction with fire equipment.