Located at both South and Valley Ranch locations, guests can bring their imaginations to life with the PolyPrinter 3D Printing.
Perfect for the beginner or the hobbyist, guests can bring an STL file already prepared or they can use a computer in the MiY Zone to make a design.
3D printing is the process of creating three dimensional objects from a digital file. Objects are printed on a specialized printer using a heating element to melt plastic filament and lay down the many tiny layers of the 3D object.
- There is a $0.15 per gram fee for the weight of the printed object.
- Due to limited hours of operation, 3D print jobs must take less than 2 hours to complete.
- Users must stay in the MiY Zone to monitor their project.
- If the design will take longer than 2 hours, users may submit a staff-facilitated print job up to 3 hours long.
- Library staff will do their best to complete 3D print jobs as quickly as possible. However, due to several variables involved with 3D printing and limited hours of operation, wait times may vary.
Steps to Submit a 3D Print Job:
1. Visit the MiY Zone during open hours.
2. Load design in KISSlicer
3. Review design, structural integrity, estimated weight* and print time with MiY Zone staff.
4. Save .STL and G-code file to the flash drive provided by MiY Zone staff.
5. Receive an email from MiY Zone staff when the 3D print job is ready for pickup.
6. Visit the library checkout desk to pay for and pick up the print.
7. Prints will be held for 7 days.
Important Notes About 3D Print Jobs
Staff facilitated 3D print jobs are processed in the order in which they are received.
- Staff cannot guarantee a specific completion or pickup date.
- Staff reserves the right to rotate or add supports, rafts, or brims to print jobs in order to help the print succeed.
- Limit of 3 hours total 3D print time in the queue, no more than 3 submissions per week.
- The staff facilitated print queue is capped at 20 hours.
- If the queue is full, patrons may opt to do a self-service print – user must stay inside the MiY Zone and keep printing time under 2 hours
- 3D designs can be created using Tinkercad or Blender
- Free digital designs are available on thingiverse.com