Chromebooks check out from the laptop kiosk at the Valley Ranch Library and can be used inside the building only. Chromebooks are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
To check out a Chromebook from the laptop locker, you must have a library card in good standing. TexShare cards, eCards, and Corporate cards cannot be used to check out a device.
CHROMEBOOK LOCKER CHECKOUT DETAILS
- Chromebooks can be checked out for up to 2 hours at a time.
- Only one device can be checked out at a time.
- Chromebooks must be returned no later than 15 minutes prior to closing.
- The kiosk is located at the Valley Ranch Library, next to the check out desk.
- The replacement charge for a lost or damaged Chromebook is $600.
Chromebooks from the Chromebook Locker can be used anywhere inside the Valley Ranch Library. These devices may not be removed from the building.
RETURNING A CHROMEBOOK
- Scan your library card or type in your library card number to begin the return process.
- The same locker that you got the device from originally will unlock. The screen will display which number locker/Chromebook you have been assigned. The light inside the assigned locker will flash to draw your attention.
- Place the Chromebook back into the locker and connect the charging cable. If you do not connect the charging cable, the system will not register the Chromebook as returned.
- Close the locker door and make sure it locks.
- Do not leave the library laptops unattended. You are responsible for the laptop checked out to you. Irving Public Library is not responsible for loss while checked out to you.
- Files saved on each Chromebook are automatically deleted when the device is powered off, the session is ended, or the lid is closed. We strongly recommend using a personal flash drive or cloud storage such as Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox to save your files.
- A limited number of flash drives are available for purchase at the circulation desk.
- Personal software may not be loaded or installed onto the Chromebooks.
PRINTING FROM CHROMEBOOKS
All Irving Public Library Chromebooks can print using the library’s Wireless Printing service. The cost to print per page is $0.20 for black and white, $0.50 for color. Wireless printing is available until 30 minutes before closing.
Please report any hardware or software problems to staff at the Information/Check-Out Desk when returning the Chromebook.