Municipal Jury Service
Cases heard by the Irving Municipal Court are Class C misdemeanor violations that have penalties of a fine. Jurors for the Irving Municipal Court are selected at random from a list of voter registrations and a list of driver registrations.
Service Length & Compensation
Jury service is normally for one (1) day. Jurors are paid $6 per day.
Eligibility for Relief of Jury SERVICE
You may be excused from jury service if any one of the following apply:
- You are over 70 years of age.
- You have legal custody of a child less than 10 years of age and jury service would leave the child unsupervised.
- You are a student in a secondary school or college and will be in class on the day of jury service.
- You are the caretaker of a person who is an invalid.
- You can show a physical or mental impairment or an inability to comprehend or to communicate in English.
- You are an employee of the legislative branch of the State of Texas.
- You have served more than five (5) days as a petit juror in county court during the last three (3) months or in district court during the last six (6) months.
If you fall into one of these categories and you wish to be excused from jury service, you will need to complete and sign the bottom portion of your Jury Summons and mail or fax it promptly to the address shown.
If you will be unable to be present for jury service and you do not fall within one of the categories above, you will be required to appear before the judge to present your reason for not being able to serve.
You may mail or fax your reasons for not being present for jury service if the letter or fax is received by the judge within seven (7) days from the postmark on the Jury Summons. The letter must include a telephone number where you can be notified of the judge's decision on normal business days from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The fax number for the judge is (972) 721-2383.