Citizens Fire Academy (CFA)
note: the Irving Fire Department Citizens Fire Academy is not a certification academy, and neither qualifies nor guarantees participants a job with the Irving Fire Department.
The Irving Fire Department Citizens Fire Academy (CFA) is a program designed to inform the residents of Irving about the Irving Fire Department. The Citizens Fire Academy is open to anyone that lives or works in Irving, 18 years of age or older.
The program is nine weeks long, one night per week, plus one full day Saturday class. This program gives Fire Department personnel the chance to welcome residents into the Fire Department family and introduce them to the different ways the department serves the community.
The CFA provides hands-on exposure to Fire Department equipment and operations, including:
- Donning of protective clothing.
- Putting on HAZ-MAT suits and using them.
- Use of SCBA.
- Going through the MAZE in protective clothing.
- Climbing the ladder of the truck.
- Operation of a fire hose.
- Use of the jaws of life.
- Use of a fire extinguisher.
CFA program graduates are allowed to ride out with the emergency apparatus for one shift on all runs. They also can volunteer to help out at emergency scenes and at safety fairs.
The CFA program is a great way to establish a link between the department and the community, and it has helped establish the CFA Alumni association, which continually aids the Irving Fire Department in many ways.
- Apparatus Familiarization
- Emergency Medical Services
- Engine Operations
- Extrication (Jaws of Life)
- Fire Codes
- Fire Communications
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fire Investigation
- Fire Service History and Traditions
- Hazardous Materials @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- History of the Irving Fire Department
- Home Fire Prevention
- Protective Clothing
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Swift Water Rescue
- Technical Rescue Team
- The MAZE
- Thermal Imaging Cameras
- Truck Operations @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Participants must be 18 years of age and live or work in the City of Irving to attend the Citizens Fire Academy.
- An application must be completed, and applicants must pass a background check.
- Class size is limited to 16 participants.
Note: The Irving Fire Department Citizens Fire Academy is not a certification academy, and it neither qualifies nor guarantees anyone a job with the Irving Fire Department. It is an information-only program.
The Academy meets at the following locations:
- Irving Fire Department Public Education Station
1230 Glenwick Lane
- Irving Police / Fire Training Academy
2603 Esters Road
For more information call (972) 721-2651.