Leaving Your Home

Leaving Your Home Following a Fire

  • Contact the Irving Police Department to request patrol units in your neighborhood.
  • Local relief services, like the American Red Cross and Salvation Army, should be able to help you with temporary housing.
  • Notify the following parties of your relocation:
    • Children's schools
    • Employer
    • Family, friends, and neighbors
    • Insurance agent or adjuster
    • Mortgage company (also inform them of the fire)
    • Post office
    • Delivery services, such as newspapers
  • Try to locate and take the following items with you:
    • Identification
    • Vital medicines, such as insulin or blood pressure regulating drugs
    • Eyeglasses, hearing aids, prosthetic devices or other personal aids
    • Valuables such as credit cards, checkbooks, insurance policies, savings account books, money and jewelry