Saving and Replacing Property

Saving Your Belongings

  • Open windows to minimize smoke odors.
  • Remove all undamaged jewelry, silver, artwork, etc.
  • Contractors who specialize in fire restoration and cleanup, as well as companies who specialize in cleaning fabrics can be found by searching online for Fire and Water Damage Restoration services.
  • Commercial laundering / dry cleaning can help remove soot and smoke odor from clothing.
  • Mop floors as soon as possible. Rugs and carpet padding should be taken up and allowed to thoroughly dry.
  • If temperature is below freezing and the heat is off, a plumber should be called to winterize the plumbing.
  • Do not use TVs or other appliances that have been exposed to heat until they are checked by a serviceman.
  • Change the filter in the furnace.
  • Do not use food or canned goods that have been exposed to heat.
  • If electric service has been disconnected, have your frozen foods placed in a freezer with 24 hours.

Monetary Replacement


Mutilated or melted coins are returnable at the nearest Federal Reserve Bank, or they may be sent by first class registered mail to:
Superintendent, U.S. Assay Office
32 Old Slip
New York, N.Y. 10005


Currency, half or more intact, should be taken to the Federal Reserve Bank or mailed as above, to:
U.S. Treasury Department
Main Treasury Building 1123
Washington, D.C. 20220


Any mutilated or destroyed bonds are handled by:
U.S. Treasury Department
Bureau of Public Debt, Division of Loans and Currency
537 S. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60605
Attn: Bond Consultant

Include name(s) and address(es) on bonds, approximate date or time period purchased, denominations and approximate number of each.

Documents and Records

AFDC and welfare clients should notify case workers if their ID cards have been destroyed. Copies of birth, death and marriage records can be obtained from the District Court Clerk in the county of birth, death or marriage.