Criminal Investigations Division
The Criminal Investigation Division is divided into the following sections:
- Crimes Against Persons - Nine detectives investigate all homicides, robberies, sexual assaults, indecencies with a child, aggravated assaults, simple assaults, child abuse (except domestic violence) and all other crimes against persons. The Criminal Investigation Division also investigates animal cruelty cases and prepares/files charges related to them.
- Domestic Violence Unit - Eleven detectives investigate all domestic violence assaults and child abuse cases, in addition to obtaining emergency protective orders for assault victims.
- Economic Crimes - Four detectives investigate forgeries, credit card abuses, money laundering, identity theft, embezzlements, and all white collar crimes.
- Property Crimes - Five detectives investigate all residential and commercial and vehicle burglaries, as well as all criminal trespasses, criminal mischief, theft and uncategorized crimes.
- Auto Thefts - Three detectives investigate all auto thefts.
- Sex Offenders - One detective registers and monitors all sex offenders and enforces the City’s Sex Offender Ordinance.
- Pawn Shop Detail - One Property Evidence Analyst collects pawn tickets, completes data entry information from pawn tickets, places holds on stolen property, assists detectives and other agencies with pawn shop investigations and gives testimony in property hearings in Municipal Court.
- Burglary Unit – Five detectives investigate all commercial and residential burglaries
- Vice and Narcotics Unit - This unit investigates drug offenses, prostitution, human trafficking, illegal gambling, sexually oriented business violations, child pornography and other child exploitation offenses. Five additional officers are assigned to various Federal Task Forces.
- Legal Liaison - Two officers assist with Grand Jury, case filing, and directly interact with Dallas County DA’s.