Criminal Investigations Division
The Criminal Investigation Division is divided into the following sections:
- Crimes Against Persons - Nine detectives investigate all homicides, robberies, sexual assaults, indecencies with a child, aggravated assaults, simple assaults, child abuse (except domestic violence) and all other crimes against persons. The Criminal Investigation Division also investigates animal cruelty cases and prepares/files charges related to them.
- Domestic Violence Unit - Eleven detectives investigate all domestic violence assaults and child abuse cases, in addition to obtaining emergency protective orders for assault victims.
- Crimes Against Children Unit –Investigators in the Crimes Against Children Unit are responsible for thoroughly investigating all reported offenses involving physical and sexual abuse of children 16 years of age and younger. These offenses include sudden unexplained infant death (SUID), homicide by a parent, family member, caregiver or daycare involving abuse or neglect, unexplained or accidental death, apparent natural unattended death, child welfare, child neglect, child physical abuse, child sexual abuse, indecency with a child, failure to report child abuse, abandoning or endangering a child, kidnappings, and improper relationship between educator and student.
- Economic Crimes - Four detectives investigate forgeries, credit card abuses, money laundering, identity theft, embezzlements, and all white-collar crimes.
- Property Crimes - Five detectives investigate all residential and commercial and vehicle burglaries, as well as all criminal trespasses, criminal mischief, theft and uncategorized crimes.
- Auto Thefts - Three detectives investigate all auto thefts.
- Sex Offenders - One detective registers and monitors all sex offenders and enforces the City’s Sex Offender Ordinance.
- Pawnshop Detail - Three Property Evidence Analyst collects pawn tickets, completes data entry information from pawn tickets, places holds on stolen property, assists detectives and other agencies with pawnshop investigations and gives testimony in property hearings in Municipal Court.
- Burglary Unit – Five detectives investigate all commercial and residential burglaries
- Vice and Narcotics Unit - This unit investigates drug offenses, prostitution, human trafficking, illegal gambling, sexually-oriented business violations, child pornography and other child exploitation offenses. Five additional officers are assigned to various Federal Task Forces.
- Legal Liaison - Two officers assist with Grand Jury, case filing, and directly interact with Dallas County District Attorney's Office.